3. Unconditional Hospitality (Jetra)

[Jesse]

Petra had really been worrying me lately. She probably doesn't notice, but it is clear that she is sick. Take our latest adventure, she wouldn't stop asking us to take a timeout and she'd be coughing uncomfortably.

"I am fine guys, really!" Petra complained every time either me or Lukas would ask if she was okay. And whenever Ivor offered her a potion of healing, she would push it away. "I. Am. Fine!"

And alas, this is nowhere near true.

Petra started opting out of adventures whenever we decided to explore. Heck, she even refused to go monster hunting, and ironically that is one of her favourite pastimes!

It has been far too long now, something is obviously wrong with Petra and I intend to find out what, I care about her and only want the best for her. I can't stop feeling guilty that she no longer goes on adventures with us anymore.

Once I finished cleaning my armor of blood and rotten flesh, I changed my clothes and walked to Petra's. When I got there, the first eye-catching detail was how dark the main room is and that all the curtains have been drawn. I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe Petra doesn't want visitors... but I am her friend and I must know of her problem or I won't be able to live normally.

I came up to the door and knocked gently.

"Petra? You home? Petra?" I called, knocking harder.

Go away.

Oh great, Petra is in one of her moods again. This however didn't deter me from trying to help her.

"Come on Petra, it can't go on like this!"

GO AWAY!

"Petra! I have to know or else I won't know how to help you."

Nothing's wrong with me Jesse, just leave me alone!

"We all know you're sick Petra, why won't you let us help you?!" I smacked myself at my sudden burst of anger. "We all care about you Petra, friends help each other. Let us help you." No response. I patiently waited outside her door; I didn't care how long I had to wait, I will never give up trying to help a dear friend. I was about to fall asleep on the grass when finally after 45 endless minutes, Petra spoke.

Don't go anywhere, I'll let you in... I couldn't understand why she sounded so pitiful and grief-stricken.

"Th-" I decided to stay quiet, no way was I gonna piss off Petra even more.

Footsteps sounded behind the door, I stood up on my legs, dropping the blades of grass I was ripping off. I was immediately startled when I heard loud coughing behind the door as the key turned. This may be worse than I think it already is.

Finally, the door silently opened slightly, and through the gap, two chocolate brown eyes peered through. Boiling hot air possessing an unusual aroma escaped through the gap, making me feel nauseous. Petra fully opened the door, and I stood in front of her. And what I saw...

Remember when I said I was worried she might be sick? Well, 'sick' is a despicable understatement.

Petra looked so different than when I last saw her:

-The youth in her skin had been reduced to ashes. Her skin was pale like when she had Wither sickness, but it's so much worse.
-The fierceness had been completely displaced by feebleness.
-Her fiery red hair had whitened and turned frail like an old woman.
-She was visibly shivering, which explains why she has so many blankets wrapped around her body.
-Her legs were trembling like it was a catastrophic earthquake.