22. Shut Up And Dance With Me (Jetra)

[Jesse]

Okay, you got this. It's just her- oh who am I kidding? She's Petra! Not like any other girl I've met in my life!

Take it easy, you got this. Just go up to her, make conversation, then ask her.

What if she says no? I just don't think I can get that kind of rejection! (Reference??)

At least give it a go! At least when you see her, linking arms with some other dude with that sheepish grin and the rose-red cheeks you'd feel SOME dignity!

Maybe you're right... I suppose since you put it that way...

Having finished arguing with my conscience I tense myself. I glance at my watch and the night was still young. The sky was glittered with stars and the moon shimmered like a vibrant pearl. I look around, I was surrounded by couples, beautiful and in complete unity; a mass amalgamation of boys and girls.

I held a fresh rose in my hand; it was still as strong as my conscience and red as my cheeks if we do hit it off, or something... The Grand Hall was lavish for the evening, with banners red and balloons white. A warm soft reddish-pink glow hung above us, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The orchestra was playing melodic tunes which filled the entire hall and had everyone dancing and laughing.

There she was... 6 feet away from me was her, dressed in a fine red dress which barely touched the ground and covered her high heels. Her overall appearance was nothing short of stunning and truly eye-catching. She seemed neutral, but I knew she was lonely. Yet above all, the question lingered in my head:

Why so lonely in such a beautiful evening?

I kept fuelling myself with pep lines and imagery, but the parasitic butterfly insisted on disrupting my flow, and I forced myself to walk towards an empty table adjacent to the one Petra was at. Having reached it, my eyes flickered to witness her breathtaking gaze matching my- wait what?

"Hey Jesse."

"Uh, uh." My nerves fired up and my heart began to ricochet about my ribs. My motor functions had shut down, causing my spine to freeze solid. She recognised me... My inner conscience encouraged me to turn around and face her, but her heavenly voice has caused me to freeze to living stone so physically hard (don't snigger) yet so mentally fragile. I revolve gradually on my left foot to face her. After about 15 seconds my eyes were staring deep into her sublime milky-chocolate eyes- okay that is an exception.

"Oh! Hey, hey Petra... How'sssssss it goingggggg?" My nervous stuttering had caused me to repeat those sounds and I was annoyed at my own failure.

"Are you... nervous about this?"

"What? Nervous? I wouldn't even consider such a ridiculous judgement!"

"If that is true, then why are you sweating like it's 100 degrees?" she said this in a teasing voice to see if I'd bite.

"Um. Because it's hot in here yeah that's right I just need to go outside and uh- I'll be right back!" I hastily and loosely blab that ridiculous excuse, rushing outside and shaming myself for that act.

What the hell was that? Get a grip on yourself Jesse or you'll never get a shot with Petra!

I... can't. I'm just... too...

Too cowardly? Where is the man I knew? Where is the true Jesse who would boldly punch a lion? Where?

Again, my conscience was right. I have to try. Rushing back inside, I joined her again, this time, with a little bit of coolness in my system.