4. Stage Fright (Young Jetra)

The solo is the cover of 'Stronger than You' by Ateotu.

[Petra]

Why oh why did Mr. Alexander have to cast me as he main character of our End of Year School Production? From the script, I saw that at the very end of the play, the main character (named Alexa) has to sing a massive solo! Eek! I've never sung by myself before, this is so frightening!

"Petra? You will have the honour of playing Alexa, the fearless warrior of the legendary Order of the Stone!" said Mr. Alexander with a ton of excitement in his funny voice.

"Oh um, sounds great! I am so excited!" I responded, trying to sound grateful that I have such a massive role, when in fact, deep down, I am frightened out of my wits!

"Excellent! Remember to memorise all your lines and you'll do great!" He then patted my shoulder before walking away with a clipboard.

Rehearsals took place throughout the week. The teachers knew I was super nervous about my role as Alexa, so they did their best to make sure I was comfortable when I performed my big solo. Most of the boys and technically all of the girls simply applauded me.

All except one...

The boy was Jesse, and he didn't just applaud me. When rehearsals were over for the day, he walked up to me and complimented me!

"You have a very nice voice Petra, I really like it." I blushed.

"Oh, do I? Th- thank you." I replied, embarrassed and utterly flattered that a boy complimented me. And not just any boy, but a boy I really like.

Jesse is such a sweet little kid. Even though he is shy, is always seen alone and isolated from everyone else, and even blushes when girls wave at him, I don't judge him negatively for it. I think Jesse is cute and kind, he and I seldom interact, yet whenever we do, it often goes as far as saying hi and asking if we were okay. Then he would run off like an adorable sweet puppy. I know from the way he looks at me, that he has feelings for me. He always looks away and pretends something was in his eye when in fact, he couldn't take his eyes off me for one second.

Jesse played the other major role in the play, he starred as James, the leader of the Order of the Stone. But alas, he sadly dies at the end so he couldn't sing the final song with me.

"Oh please let James live at the end! I don't want to sing alone tonight!" I literally dropped down to my knees in front of Mr. Alexander and begged him not to make me sing alone. But he just nodded no.

"I'm sorry Petra, but James dies at the end, nothing we can do about that." Ironic, because they have the power to do exactly what I am begging them to do! Suddenly, Mr. Alexander clicked his fingers.

"How about this? Once it's your cue to sing, we won't start the music until you are ready. Take as long as you have to. Is that okay?" Unfortunately, it has to be okay, because I don't really have a choice.

"Okay Mr. Alexander, I accept." I sighed.

"Okay, it's settled! Now run along and get some rest at home, the play begins at 6:30!" I then ran home, bumping into Jesse along the way.

"Petra. Are you okay?" he asked, noticing how nervous I was.

"No! I still have to sing by myself! I'm nervous Jesse! I don't know what to do! I-" Jesse silenced me by pressing a finger against my lips.

"It'll be okay Petra. I'll see what I can do to make sure you have someone to sing alongside. You can count on me." I was so overjoyed that Jesse was really willing to help, that I tightly hugged him.