Alice in the Upside Down

Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas

T H E  F L E A  A N D  T H E  A C R O B A T  P T

T H E  F L E A  A N D  T H E  A C R O B A T  P T .  2

Danny and I walked through the woods, looking for any sign of Nancy and Johnathon. I nervously fiddled with the handle of the machete. Before we left the house, Danny had closed the garage and used the blowtorch to weld the kitchen knives onto the metal pipe. As we drew closer to the area we were supposed to meet, the faint sound of gunshots filled my ears.

"I think that's Johnathon." Danny turned in the direction of the gunshots.

"It is." Nancy popped out of nowhere with Dustin's old baseball bat and her backpack slinger on her back.

"Holy!" I jumped in shock, instinctively swinging my machete toward her. She let out a screech as she jumped away.

"What the hell, Dawn?" Nancy looked up at me with wide eyes.

"Me what the hell? You what the hell! Don't come popping out of nowhere while we're in the woods where the monster could be and when we are wielding weapons." I defended, lowering the machete.

"She has a point there Nance." Danny shrugged, gripping his weapon tightly.

"Did you make that?" Nancy pointed at the makeshift weapon. Danny nodded, curious to see what she is going to say. "It turned out great. Seems like the perfect monster killer."

"I'd sure hope all of our weapons are monster killers." Danny smirked. He started to walk in the direction we heard the gunshots. "Now come on. Let's go see how Byers is doing with that gun."

The closer we got, the louder the shots were. Once we walked into a clearing, we saw Johnathon shooting his gun at one of the three barrels he had set up with cans on top. It seemed as if he hadn't even nicked any of them. Johnathon sighed and lowered the gun.

"You're supposed to hit the cans, right?" Nancy teased. I perked an eyebrow. Is she flirting?

"No, actually, you see the spaces in between the cans? I'm aiming for those." Johnathon playfully let out.

"Ah." Nancy smiled, setting her backpack down on the ground.

"You ever shot a gun before?" Johnathon asked us, opening the cylinder of the gun to place new bullets inside. 

"Have you met my parents?" Nancy scoffed, placing her hands inside her coat pockets.

"Dad tried introducing guns to me when I was younger," Danny shrugged, placing his monster killer weapon on top of his shoulders. I narrowed my eyes at him and took a step away. I didn't want to be cut by that thing. "But Mom scolded him saying it isn't safe for a kid to be learning how to shoot a gun. Thinks that kids see it as a toy."

"Mom didn't even want me near a gun, still doesn't actually." I let out, stabbing the machete into the ground.

"Yeah, I haven't shot one since I was ten." Johnathon admitted. "My dad took me hunting on my birthday. He made me kill a rabbit."