The Return to the Upside Down

Cities in Dust - Siouxsie and the Banshees

T  H  E    M  A  S  S  A  C  R  E    A T     H A W K  I  N  S   L A B   P  T

T  H  E    M  A  S  S  A  C  R  E    A T     H A W K  I  N  S   L A B P T . I

The first thought that came into my mind was: Damn this water is actually kind of cold. Then I focused my mind to find Steve. There was no sign of Steve. It didn't help that the water was dark. Fear grew in my chest. I swam deeper into the lake, kicking my feet faster.

A red light was emitting from the ground. The gate. Determination fueled my speed. When I got closer to the gate, I ignored the fear and memories of the Upside Down and broke through. I gasped for air and pulled myself out of the gate onto the ground.

Water dripped onto the floor as I regulated my breathing. Standing up, I looked for any sign of Steve. The familiar dust like particles were in the air. Screeches echoed, causing a cold shiver to run down my spine. The waste land of the Upside Down still gave me the creeps. Familiar thick black vine-like roots were covering the ground. I noticed small trail of blood mixed with water going deeper into the wasteland.

I had to forced myself not to panic. Steve's okay. He has to be okay. I started to follow the trail, holding my machete at the ready. There were loud gasps behind me. Quickly turning around, I saw three idiots getting to their feet.

"What the hell? Why?" I stared them down.

"We're helping too." Nancy gave me a nod.

"Do you know where he went." Robin asked as they walked to me.

"This way." I pointed my machete at the trial leading deeper into the Upside Down. "And judging by the trail, I think he's hurt. Come on."

"The Upside Down is way worse than you guys explained it." Eddie muttered as we quickly followed the trail.

"Depends on the location." Nancy told him.

"You should've seen the woods version." I scowled. A scream cut through the air. My heart stopped as chills ran down my spine. "Steve."

I bolted, the others right behind me. Shrieks and yells were echoing in my ears. I pushed myself to run faster. Up ahead, I was able to see Steve. Three flying creatures were fighting him. One wrapped it's tail around his neck and yanked him down. The other two started to bite into his sides.

Steve struggled to fight them off. He would manage to kick them away, but they would quickly return. I twirled the machete in my hand and I stabbed the one choking him into the ground. Nancy and Eddie had found two oars. They each grabbed one and smacked the other two away from Steve.