Operation: Protect Max

Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush

▸Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush

D E A R   B I L L Y

Nancy and Robin left for their trip to talk to Victor Creel. Steve and I rejoined the boys and Max in the basement. The four of us sat on the couch as we waited for Max to finish writing. I had my head on Steve's shoulder, my eyes dropping.

"I know you guys are staring at me." Max called out.

"I'm sorry."

"You said you needed something?"

"Just hanging out."

"Trying to take a nap." I murmured, wrapping my arms around Steve's.

"Yeah, you all shut up so Dawn can go to sleep." Steve placed his cheek on top of my head. A smile grew on my lips.

"How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me from Venca, I don't know." I heard Max make her way toward us. "Dawn, wake up."

"Do I have to?" I opened one eye to see Max giving me a look. She had a stack of envelopes in her hands. Max wanted to give us something. Sighing, I opened my eyes and sat up. "Whats up?"

The boys are avoiding eye contact with her. Lucas was reading the Victor Creel paper. Dustin was staring at the ground. Steve was fiddling with a ball.

"You can look at me now." Max told them.

"Thank you. Sorry." Dustin apologized.

"Sorry."

"Sorry."

"I'm sorry they're idiots." I leaned back into the couch. Steve scoffed and nudged my side. Lucas and Dustin frowned in my direction. "What? I speak no lies."

Max only sighed.

"For you." She handed an envelope to Dustin.  She gave each of us an envelope. A frown grew on my face as I realized what type of letter was in the envelope. "For you. For you. And, um, you."

We all stared at Max, not knowing what to say.

"Oh, and, um, give these to Mike, El, and Will." Max handed Lucas the three envelopes. "If you can ever get a hold of them again."

The boys stared at their letters once again. Dustin opened the envelope and started to take the note out when Max stopped him.