Blurry Face

Every Breath You Take - The Police

▸ Every Breath You Take - The Police

T H E  B O D Y

I was playing my guitar in my room, practicing the chords for Danny's new song. Humming the lyrics, I bobbed my head to the beat. A loud slam followed by footsteps echoed throughout the house. Looking up, I saw Dustin rush into his room.

Frowning, I placed my instrument on my bed and went to the hallway. Danny met up with me, giving me a look of confusion. I shrugged, not knowing how to respond. Dustin's cries started to escape his room. Licking my lips, I slowly entered his room.

"Dusty?" I softly called out. Sniffling, Dustin raised his head to see Danny and me entering his room.

"What's the matter, bud?" Danny asked.

"They found Will's body." Dustin mumbled. I froze, tears already starting to form in my eyes.

"W-what?" I stuttered out. "How do you know?"

Dustin stayed quiet, wiping his cheeks. Danny stepped forward, kneeling in front of Dustin.

"Dustin." Danny placed a comforting hand on Dusty's shoulder. "How do you know?"

Dustin looked down at the ground, avoiding our gazes. He fiddled with his hand, mumbling incoherently. Danny and I looked at each other in worry.

"Dustin." I sternly told him. "Are you hiding something from us?"

"Hold on." Dustin exasperated. He got up, running to his door to close it. Taking a deep breath in, he turned around to face us. "You have to promise not to tell anyone. You understand me? Not Mom, not Dad, not your friends, not your girlfriend. Do you understand? No one can know what I'm about to tell you. It's top secret."

"Uh, yeah."

"Mike is going to kill me." Dustin groaned out, running his hands through his curls. He knocked his hat off in the process. "Okay, so, um...we've been going out to try and look for Will."

"By 'we' you mean you, Lucas, and Mike?" Danny questioned, crossing his arms.

"Yes, now let me finish talking." Dustin cleared his throat and continued. "On our first trip to the woods at night-"

"Wait, a minute, is that why you came in with mud all over yourself?" I furrowed my brows together. "Dustin-"

"Dawn, I love you, but leave the questions and interrogation until after I'm done." Dustin stated. I frowned, crossing my arms. He gave me a smile. "Please?"

"Fine, alright. Hurry up." I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"Anyways, we found something...somebody. But it wasn't Will." Dustin looked at us before licking his lips. "It was a girl. Shaved head and huge t-shirt on. We brought her to Mike's house since it was raining, you know? Lucas kept going on about how she's mental. Mike offered her some clothes and then she tried-"