Chapter 1

My alarm clock screamed at me and I stared at it. I had been staring at it for 15 minutes while it beeped. I did not want to start this new school today. Greenwell Academy. What kind of prestigious name was that?

I sat up in bed and let my hand fall onto the alarm clock, ending the horrible noise. Looking over to my desk, I saw the outfit my mother had left for me. Did she really think that I was going to wear a sundress? And a bright yellow one at that? I rolled my eyes, grabbed some dark denim shorts, paired them with a flowing white tank top and changed into those. I looked at my reflection in the mirror behind my bedroom door. No matter what I wore, I looked ridiculous. My long thin legs looked alien-like and my pale skin would obviously stick out among my new native Californian classmates.

Usually, I wasn't so self conscious, but I had never moved over 2,000 miles away from my old friends. I sighed and walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth and hair. When I was done with that, I walked back into my room and put on more make up than I usually did. I didn't want to look like a wreck on my first day. I unplugged my phone from it's charger and tucked it into my bag. When I saw my parents at the breakfast table, my appetite was vanished.

They always acted like everything was perfect when I started a new school, but it was always far from perfect. They acted like moving from Marlboro, Vermont to Los Angeles, California wasn't a change at all. I went from sharing a city with 978 people to sharing a city with nearly four million people in a matter of days.

"Good morning," my mother said as I entered the kitchen. My father looked up from his Time magazine to smile at me.

"Morning," I murmured back at her as I grabbed a chocolate chip muffin and headed out the door.

I got into my car, a red Mini Cooper with two black stripes down the center. My parents bought it for me to make up for me having to change schools all the time. I wasn't complaining, it was the best gift they've ever given me.nI backed out of the garage stall and down the driveway.

About 10 minutes and a whole muffin later, I pulled into the schools parking lot. My phone began to ring from inside my bag. I pulled into a spot fairly close to the entrance before I grabbed my phone. Looking down at the caller ID, I groaned but answered the call anyway.

"Hello?" I said while rummaging through my bag, making sure I had all my notebooks and pencils.

"Honey, you forgot your lunch," said my mom. I looked in a pocket of my bag and made sure I had enough money to buy something to eat. For a girl whose parents had quite a bit of money, I didn't carry a lot of cash on me. Yeah, I had a credit card that I hated using, but the only cash on me was about 3 dollars.

I turned off the car and unbuckled. "I'll just buy something."

"Alright, but make sure you go to the office to grab your schedule. I love you."

"Love you too." The line went dead and I opened the car door, feeling a thunk. I quickly jumped out and looked at what, oh God, who I hit. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" I held my bag tightly to my chest and looked at the boy my door hit.

"No big deal, just my hip. It doesn't even hurt that bad." He was pretty cute, neat blond hair and blue eyes, the classic Californian boy. I think. I'm new here, cut me some slack. "I'm James," he stuck out his hand.

"Raelene, but I go by Rae." I smiled and shook his hand. I eased my grip on my bag. "I'm really sorry about hitting you with the car door. God, that's really embarrassing," I laughed.

James laughed, too. "No big deal. You'll just have to make up for it."

"Well, it'll have to be another time. I have to go to the office and get my schedule. I guess I'll see you around?" I hated to have to cut our conversation short, he was cute, but I couldn't be late on my first day. I was half turned away when he called out.