Mess That I Am - Part One

This is the first contributing part to this story group! I hope you enjoy it! If you ever want a quick read, this will the group to look at :D

GSI - In universities or colleges, it refers to a "Graduate Student Instructor"

I actually don't know much about the program or the system that GSI's participate in so if things don't go exactly like this when you first get your GSI, I'm sorry. My sister had one in one of her classes at her university but I'm too lazy to ask her exactly how the program functions.

Part 1 out of 2.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

The nightclub was packed tight as music blared through the numerous speakers strategically placed around the establishment. The heat, inside what would be considered such a small place for this many people, was unbelievable. Despite the fact that my pleather dress was strapless and short, I could feel the stickiness of sweat already coating my body. That's extreme considering the fact that all I was doing was sitting at the bar and sipping on a non-alcoholic drink. I pulled out my phone from my small, silver clutch and glanced warily at the time.

"God, Macks. Why do you do this to me?" I whined out to my friend who was sitting in a stool next to me.

She whirled around in her seat, facing me instead of the bartender she was flirting with. We were both underage, yet we still managed to always get our way.

"You are in medical school studying your ass off to become something your father has ingrained into your brain that you need to be. Being your best friend, it's my job to keep you as sane and normal as society requires. Not some braniac who spends all her time cooped up in her room trying to read a half a textbook in one night," she explained as she thrust a drink into my hands.

I pushed the shot glass away lightly. "You know I don't drink alcohol," I told her pointedly. "And I always go out with you, Macks. I just shouldn't tonight because I have an important class tomorrow. You know that I'd be more than happy to accompany you at any other day."

"Gosh!" Mackenzie belted out in frustration, throwing her head back to the ceiling. "Well, tonight, you need to loosen up a bit more. I'm going to go dance. You're welcome to join me out in the floor or stay here. Either way, when I come back and look for you, you hair better be down," she said as she stuck a finger in my face.

She hopped down from her stool and started walking into the crowd. I watched as she, in a purple sequined spaghetti-strapped dress, eventually disappeared, drowning in the sea of people.

I sighed before turning back to the bar, my glass of Lemon Sour almost empty. I stared at the shot glass that Macks had set in front of me.

A man approached the bar and leaned against the counter, his eyes trained on the wall behind the bar in which bottles upon bottles of alcohol filled the shelves. His head slowly turned to look at me as he saw me glancing curiously at the shot glass.

"You know, whether you drink that or not, your friend already paid for that," he pointed out, finishing his statement with a wild grin on his face.

"How would you know anything about that?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

"I've been watching you two from the second floor ledge," he answered casually with a shrug.

"A stalker. This is exactly why I've always considered going out at night with only one person that always happens to get herself into trouble a risk," I said with a smirk.

He raised his hands up in mock innocence. "I wasn't stalking. I was merely admiring," he countered, a smirk of his own crossing his lips.

"Suave," I commented sarcastically, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. I gulped down the rest of my drink and set the empty glass on the counter.