Chapter 3 Flight

Beep Beep Beep I'm awakened in the middle of the night by what sounds like an alarm clock. I get out of bed and attempt to locate the sound. Rubbing my sleepy eyes. I search the night stand for my phone what time is it? I click the home button 4:27am. Jesus! it is still early why on earth is there an alarm going off.

I narrow the sound down to a wall. Okay I must still be sleeping. Why on earth is the sound coming from behind here there is nothing there. I bang on the wall hoping that by some miracle it would make the annoying ringing stop! I hear a slight hissing sound as the wall pushes back and slides open. What on earth? I walk into the room. It seems to be some kind of speakeasy. The beeping is coming from a really large mirror hanging on the wall in the back of the room.

I walk over to it and poke it. It rippled slowly then an elder looking gentlemen appeared. I was taken a back by how attractive he was for his age. He looked to be a little over the age of 50. Seemed to be around 6 feet maybe taller. He had golden brown hair nicely slicked back. Very well groomed in a blue suit, with large glasses.

"Hello?" he called out in a deep voice.

His accent was absolutely wonderful, he sounded British.

"Hello? Ben we seem to have a bit of an emergency?"

I wasn't sure if he could see me. I stood directly in front of the mirror and sure enough. I heard his gasp.

"Well you definitely aren't Ben." he said looking me up and down.

"And you are?" I asked.

"Im afraid that is of no importance for you. Now if you excuse me I must go."

"wait!" I yelled but it was too late the strange man was gone.

I hear someone clear their throat.

"Elaine hi what are you doing in here?"

Oh no I'm in trouble now. I slowly turn my head to see Ben leaning on the door in the entrance. He is not happy. He starts making his way towards me. I back up into the table.

"I am so sorry, I didn't mean to intrude I promise I can explain please just give me a chance to." I plead.

Ben glances down at his watch then I feel a slight prick in my neck. The room begins to blur and my legs go numb. I collapse on the rug in front of the mirror.

Ben's P.O.V.

I am settling in after a long week of work, when I hear the mirror ringing. It must be Harry, I hope everything is alright. I rush down the stairs try the guest room handle and its locked. Of course how could I forget Elaine was staying in our guest room. I rush back up the stairs to wake her.

"Ari Ari! wake up I need the key to the guest room."

"Huh?" she asks me half asleep. Gosh she's so cute. I smack myself stay focused.

"Ari the key to the guest room please Hurry! Harry is calling and it might wake Elaine."

"Oh right! its in the top right drawer of my dresser."

I quickly grab the key and run downstairs. I open the door to find I'm too late Elaine is already looking at Harry in confusion. He hangs up on her and she's left there gazing at the mirror in awe.

I clear my throat loudly. It startles Elaine she turns to look at me.

"Elaine hi what are you doing in here?" I ask her as calmly and casual as possible. Poor thing looks horrified.

"I am so sorry, I didn't mean to intrude I promise can explain please just give me a chance to."

I glance down at my watch selecting the tranquilizer and fire. Elaine then collapses onto the carpet floor. Ari begins to yell at me. "What did you do?"

I respond to her "Im sorry darling but you know the rules and there was no way we could have talked our way out if this one."

Ari runs over to Elaines body and places her head on her lap."What did you give her?"

I walk over to Ari and Elaine "Relax darling it's okay I just put her to sleep thats all and when she wakes in the morning she'll think it was all just a dream. Besides I won't be here so she won't question it."

"You won't be here?" Ari raises her head towards me.

I place a hand softly under her warm chin. "No love, That was Harry on the mirror and I doubt he called me just to have a slight chat."

Her face drops. I get down on my knees and raise her head. "Hey, don't worry, I'll be fine." I lean in and brush my lips softly against hers. "Now then let me put her back in bed." I carefully pick up Elaine who is a lot lighter than she seems and place her gently on the bed. Ari tucks her in and we return to the room to see what the message from Harry is.

I dial him this time through the computer. He answers immediately. "Hello Harry, I apologize about earlier. I forgot to mention to you that I would be having a guest stay and that if you needed to contact me to just dial me on my glasses."

"That is all right Ben, How did you manage the girl?"

I lift my watch up to the camera "put her to sleep."

Harry chuckles lightly. Then continues onto serious business. "Listen Ben how quickly can you get to Florida?"

"Florida? I can be there by 3pm today."

"Great. I shall call you on your flight with more details."

I nod and the screen goes blank. I turn to Ari. "Well hun I shall see you soon." I embrace her tightly. She leans in and gives me a small peck.

"Be safe!" she yells out at me

"I always am!" I reply closing the door to the taxi.