36. Hamliza

A/N: This is my first time ever writing Hamliza (or any straight ship honestly), so I hope you guys like it.

Eliza sighed as she lied in bed, which was once again, as it has been for many, many nights, cold and empty. Normally it would've been occupied by her husband, who would lazily sling his arm over Eliza's waist, pressing a gentle kiss to the pale girl's neck before the two drifted off.

At least, that's how it was before Alex got his new job.  Now it seemed like Eliza barely got to see her lover, maybe briefly as Alex retreated to the kitchen to get a millionth cup of coffee, or when she'd bring him dinner in his office, dinner that usually went uneaten by the busy man.  She understood that work was important, Alex was focused on being financially stable since the two wanted to have a baby soon, but she didn't see why Alexander couldn't even spare her a minute.

Eliza rubbed her eyes, there was no real point in trying to sleep. She hadn't had a good night sleep since Alex started spending nights in his office. It was so hard without Alexander's arms around her, without her being able to smell his cologne, feel his long hair brush against her skin when Alex would give her one last goodnight kiss.  She stood up from the bed, glancing back at the wrinkled covers of her side, and untouched covers of Alexander's.  She frowned, starting off towards the poorly lit hallway.  "Alexander?" She asked, knocking gently at the door of her husband's office. 

There was a rustling, what sounded like a shuffling of papers and a few quiet footsteps before the door opened slowly, a exhausted looking Alex behind it.  "Betsy?" He asked, his voice raspy from not being used in a while, almost sounding like a tin man that hadn't been oiled.  "It's late, I figured you'd be in bed."

"Well I was, but I couldn't sleep," Eliza mumbled quietly, peeking up at the man through the hair that fell over her eyes.  "Could you come back to bed with me?  At least until I fall asleep?" She asked, almost pleading.

Alexander made a face, almost of debate, thinking about whether he should abandon his work, or tell Eliza no.  Well, Alex was never one to say no, and he couldn't deny he missed the girl he loved just as much as she missed him.  "Give me a moment," Alexander muttered, making Eliza cock her head to the side as she heard the sound of papers being shuffled around, sorted.  She didn't doubt that the room was a mess, he probably had stacks upon  stacks of papers littering the room, dozens of sticky notes lining the edge of his computer, and a few coffee mugs here and there.  Eliza always told him that if he left the mugs unclean they'd have stains, Alex insisted coffee stains gave them character.

After about five minutes of what Elizabeth assumed was Alex trying to make his workplace as orderly as possible, Alexander flipped the lights off, stepping out of his cluttered office.  Eliza smiled as Alexander wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him. 

The two returned to their bedroom, slipping under the covers of their shared bed, and Eliza couldn't help but grin as Alex slipped back into routine.  His arm sling over her waist, he kissed her neck, it was just like before, and Eliza relished every second.  "Goodnight, my darling," Alexander spoke softly, his eyes drooling shut.  It had probably been the first night in a long time that he had went to bed before midnight, and Eliza smiled, knowing Alex would probably sleep until at least noon.

"Goodnight, my Alexander," she whispered, desperately hoping Alex would revive their broken routine so she could finally get a good night sleep.