14. Burrens

Aaron felt anger slowly boil inside him as he watched John from across the classroom. He was talking and laughing with none other than Alexander Hamilton, the nuisance that always seemed to ruin Aaron's life. "God I could just shoot that guy," He grumbled, tapping his pencil against his desk furiously.

Alexander seemed to take everything from Aaron, he was always Washington's favorite, he always got the best grades, and always had the best ideas. Some would, or rather most, would say he was better than Aaron in every way. But there was one thing that he couldn't watch Alex take from him. John Laurens. John was his, he was his boyfriend, not Alexander's and as Alexander's hand found its way to John's thigh, something in Aaron snapped. He stood, slow, but quite noticeable. Class hadn't yet started, in fact Washington hadn't even made it into the room yet, but nearly every student was in their seats, and everyone's eyes fell on Aaron as he stood up. "Don't touch him," Aaron said calmly, giving Alex a pointed look. No one seemed to see it except John, but Aaron was on the brink of exploding.

John shuffled awkwardly in his seat, now that everyone's eyes were on him and Alex, who seemed not phased in the slightest by all the attention. Alex stood up in the same fashion as Aaron, a cocky smirk tugging at his lips. "Why?"

It was almost like slow motion, almost like a switch flipped in Aaron as he jumped out of his seat, crossing the room with a speed that could only be described as impossible. His curled fist collided with Alexander's face and in seconds a full fledged brawl broke out between the two boys. Some of the students chose the childish chanting of "Fight! Fight! Fight!", others just sat in shock as Alexander and Aaron nearly beat the living shit out of each other.

"Stop it!" John shouted, trying to pry Alexander from Aaron. His actions took no affect, it seemed it only egged the two on, the punches getting harder and more angry. Tears pricked at John's eyes as he watched the fight. He took another jab at breaking up the fight, which only resulted in Alexander's fist meeting John's freckled cheek. John reeled back, shocked by the blow, but not as shocked as Alexander, who broke away from Aaron, seemingly forgetting about his battered enemy. "I can't believe you!"

"Baby," Alexander said softly, taking a step towards John, who backed away, shaking his head. "I'm so sorry-"

"Don't call me baby. I'm not yours, Alexander, get that through your head," John's nose crinkled in disgust, tears streaming down his face. Alexander backed away, sensing John's anger and sadness. "And you," John's attention focused on Aaron, who looked meek, afraid of what John was going to say. "How dare you? What on earth were you thinking?!"

"I-I..." Aaron choked out, unsure of what to say. There really was nothing to say. "I'm sorry," Aaron mumbled, his eyes fixed on the ground.

Washington entered the classroom, a clipboard under his arm. He had a smile on his face as he sat down at his desk, but that happy expression fell as soon as he saw John crying, and more importantly, Aaron and Alexander, both looking like they were just processed through a meat grinder, the two standing quite far away from each other. "Boys, what happened here?" Washington quirked an eyebrow as the two exchanged a glance. Both Aaron and Alexander silently agreed to stay quiet, both shrugging as if nothing had taken place. "I see. You three, step out of my class, sort this out yourselves so I can teach."

John stormed out first, followed by Alexander and Aaron, who practically raced to get out of the classroom first. John slumped against the locker, sitting down carefully, to ensure that his skirt covered his legs. Alexander decided to be the first one to speak, since well, Alexander was always the first one to speak. "John, I didn't throw the first punch. Your boyfriend here hit me, it was just self defense," John rolled his eyes, burying his face in the soft, fuzzy fabric of his mint green sweater sleeves. "John please."

"Alex, I don't care who 'threw the first punch' or whatever. You both hit each other, and I am furious with both of you right now. You the most," John pointed at Aaron, who just nodded sheepishly. "Alex, could you please just go back to class, I really just want to be alone."

"But shouldn't Aaron go back too?" Alex asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, I want to be alone with him. Go away, Alexander," John snapped, giving Alex a hard glare. Alex would have protested like he usually did, but he didn't want to make the situation worse. So he left without another word, walking back to class, shutting the door behind him. "Sit," John said calmly, glancing up at Aaron, who didn't respond, just sat down next to John quietly. "Aaron, why on earth would you do something like that?" John's anger seemed to have calmed down, but that's usually John's tone with Aaron.

Aaron bit his lip, deciding to ignore John's question. "How long are you going to keep this up?" John gave Aaron a confused look. "Pretending that you aren't in love with Alex. Pretending you still like me. If you're trying to do this letting me down easy thing, just dump me right now, John. Alex takes everything from me, I should've known he'd take you too."

There was a long silence, and Aaron couldn't bear to meet John's eyes. "Is that what this is about?" Aaron nodded, fiddling with his fingers. "You can't be serious right? You think I'm in love with Alex? Ronnie, do you know how many times he's asked me out?" Aaron didn't answer. "At least ten. I don't like him, I never liked him that way. He's my best friend, he just doesn't get that we'll never be anything more than that," John took Aaron's hand in his own, which made Aaron look at him. "I love you, Aaron. I'm yours, not Alexander's."

"You two are always flirting," Aaron mumbled to himself, feeling John squeeze his hand.

"Alex is always flirting. He doesn't quite understand boundaries. Baby, you didn't need to do what you did today, and I'm not happy with what you did. But do you believe me, Aaron? Do you believe that you're my one and only?" John rested his head on Aaron's shoulder, giving his boyfriend a hopeful glance. Aaron nodded, smiling as John kissed him softly. "Good, now let's get up, my skirt is getting dirty."

Aaron stood, helping John to his feet. John wrapped his arms around Aaron's neck, giving him a small smile as he felt hands on his hips. "And can we agree that even though Alex is a little... difficult sometimes, you won't fight him again?" Aaron groaned, rolling his eyes exaggeratedly.

"Fine."