12. Laurette (part two)

- Several months after Lafayette removes John from Alex -

"Babe, come here," Lafayette heard from the living room. John sounded worried, which hurried the pace of Lafayette's arrival, the taller man never liking his most adored person to be upset or nervous. John was sitting on the couch in the living room, his phone tightly gripped in his hand. "He's calling."

"Non," Lafayette said, shaking his head in disbelief. The two rarely said Alexander's name, they didn't have a reason to. It took heavy therapy for John to come to grips with the fact that he wasn't safe around Alex, and even more therapy for him to realize that he could be in a relationship that wasn't abusive. Lafayette was patient and kind, he waited until John was okay and perfectly aware of himself and others before making any sort of move. Though when he did, John was happy to oblige in a date. "You two haven't spoken since that day, months ago. What the fuck would he want now?!" John shrugged, slightly trembling from stress. Lafayette sighed, taking a seat next to John on the couch, pulling his lover into his lap, trying to calm him. "It's okay, mon amour. You don't have to answer it, but I'm not forcing you not to either. It's your decision John, but be ready. You have no idea what that maniac might say."

John leaned into Lafayette's embrace, his hands shaking as he pressed the bright green answer button. "Hello?" He asked in a shaky voice, the phone pressed to his ear.

"John?" Alex asked, sounding a little unsure.

"Yes?" John asked reaching for Laf's hand as his breathing got faster. Lafayette intertwined their fingers, kissing John's shoulders.

"I know we haven't talked in a long... long time. But baby, I've changed, I've changed so much, sweetheart. I don't drink, and I don't yell anymore. We can work, you can come home. Don't you want to come home, baby girl?" John shivered from Alexander's kind tone. He remembers that tone, Alex mostly used it on nights right before he lost his shit and hurt John. It was definitely bone-chilling hearing it now. "Come on, I know I've been a dick, but I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Johnny. I'll treat you right," John didn't respond, the words I'll treat you right playing over and over in his mind. He knew that one person, and one person only, could treat him right and that person was definitely not Alexander. It was Lafayette. Lafayette had always treated him like treasure, like a princess. Lafayette treated him like he was made of gold, and in term, John did the same. It was a healthy relationship, nothing like the toxicity John had with Alex. Though it only took three words from Alexander to draw tears to his eyes. "I love you."

"Fuck you," John stammered out, his voice cracking, full of raw emotion that couldn't be faked. The type of emotion not even the best of actors could portray. Then again, John wasn't acting.

Lafayette ran his hands through John's curls. He desperately wanted to interfere, to grab the phone and tell Alex all the things that had been on his mind since he saved John from that household, but John hadn't given him the signal, and Laf didn't want to break boundaries.

"Baby, don't be like that. I love you so much, so so much. You used to see that, you used to know how much I love you. I love you with all my heart, John, come back to me," Alexander pleaded, sounding heartbroken and desperate.

"You don't love me," John said through gritted teeth. "You never did, Alexander. I'm done playing your silly little fucking games that you always seem to win. I'm not your fuck toy, and I'm so done with being tossed around and bruised because you can't keep your fists to yourself. I'm not going back to that mindset, where I believed that you loved me. I'm not going back to your alcohol-smelling house, and I'm not going to let you touch me ever again. And neither his my boyfriend for that matter, he'd kill you if you laid a hand on me," John was fuming, his whole body shaking in anger. Lafayette was worried that John was overworked, but extremely proud of him for having the courage to say such things.