• 64: The Banquet •

Melody

The rest of the week went by quickly and before I knew it, Sunday rolled around the corner. I had told Carson to meet me at my house around four-thirty as we were planning to leave for the banquet hall when the limo came fifteen minutes later.

I went downstairs in the morning, after spending sometime drawing, hoping to get a workout in before I had to get ready. However, as I headed towards the basement, I saw my dad waking up from his position on the couch in his office. I stopped and placed a smile on my face, hoping to build up the courage to walk in there and sit down and talk to him. Talk to him about anything, as long as it was something.

My father glanced at his watch and swore under his breath before rushing over to his desk, diminishing any resolve I had to go in. He stared at his computer, drumming his left hand, as the right started on the mouse. I noticed the five o'clock shadow on his cheeks and chin and the bags under his eyes. He was overworking himself without any restraint.

Like father, like daughter, I guessed as I went downstairs to start on the treadmill.

***

After a long, hot shower that seemed to melt my Sunday morning away, I started my make up. Gold and brown eye shadow blended together to bring out the darker undertones in my green eyes. I put on eyeliner and mascara before I contoured my cheekbones and nose, hoping the makeup tutorials I watched online sometimes weren't going to waste. After adding a little highlight to make my cheeks shimmer, I added a matte nude lipstick that had a hint of pink. I curled my hair and raked my fingers through it to give it big waves before stepping back to look at myself.

Decent... I thought before slipping into my dress. We had walked around the mall and found shoes that matched my dress in Chanel. I pulled them on and headed downstairs.

As I walked down to the foyer, surveyed the room and saw my dad in a suit, blonde hair slicked back. Margot was in a dark green, long-sleeved dress and Mia was in her blue, off-the-shoulder dress. Her hair was in an up-do and her makeup was flawless. As much as I didn't want to admit it, she looked gorgeous.

The doorbell rang and I took a deep breath and stepped over to the door. I turned the knob and opened the door, feeling the icy air hit my bare skin. However, I laid eyes on Carson and felt warm.

"Hi," I breathed – barely.

Carson White in a suit. A sight I didn't know I needed until it was in front of me and I had never been more grateful in my life. Okay, an exaggeration... but my goodness was he like staring at a Michelangelo sculpture. His suit was fitted and black with a white shirt underneath it. He matched his tie to my dress, the champagne making his eyes sparkle. He had run some gel through his hair giving it this perfectly messy look that made my heart stutter in my chest.

I watched as his eyes widened and his mouth parted slightly. I could feel Carson's gaze on my face, on my dress and it made it hard to think. I gave him a small smile, forgetting about Margot, Mia and even my father in the room.

"You are breathtaking," Carson said, a smile resting on his lips.

"I-I – thank you," I settled on, breaking eye contact. "You look handsome," I added quietly.

"Are you going to invite him in? Or let us all freeze with the door open?" Mia called. My eyes narrowed, making Carson smirk, but I quickly stepped aside to let Carson in.

"Um... Mia, Margot you remember Carson..." I said closing the door behind him. "Carson, this is my dad, Robert... I turned to face my father. "Um, Dad, this is Carson... my, um, boyfriend."