• 31: Denny's •

Carson

I had texted Melody a few times throughout the day, but after basketball practice, I was focused on getting caught up on my science homework. I knew she was out with Emma and her friends, though I really wanted to see her again. Our first date hadn't ended the way I'd expected it to, and I wanted a chance to change it somehow. But she said she was busy all day. I hoped it was that, and not that she was avoiding me.

I sat at my desk for the rest of day doing homework, occasionally glancing out the window and across the street to the park. I witnessed the sun settle in the horizon, turning the sky shades of pink, purple and orange as clouds rolled in. It started to rain around then, but it was a light drizzle. I didn't really like rain, but when I was inside, the sound of the rain dancing on my rooftop made me feel at peace.

By eleven the rain was moving like buckets of water being dumped off a balcony. The streets were soaked, and it was quite windy out. I glanced up from my homework and stared out the window, bored at the scientific overload. That was when I noticed a figure moving across the street. It seemed to be moving around the circumference of the park.

A feeling of dread grew in my stomach as I noticed it was a person. They were slender, and in all black. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and sent a text.

Hey, what are you up to?

Carson White; 11:15pm

I watched, as the hooded person kept moving. When my phone got no response, I went downstairs to get a closer look. The person's hood blew off and I caught a glimpse of pale skin and brown hair before the figure fell to the ground.

I dialled her number immediately and waited for her to pick up.

"Is that you outside?" I asked softly. I was greeted with heavy panting, like she was trying to catch her breath. I also heard sniffles. Was she crying? I was already moving to get a blanket and a hoodie.

"Melody?" I tried again. A strangled cry tore me apart. "Don't move." I hung up and pulled a pair of sneakers on. I grabbed my jacket and car keys as I made my way outside, throwing the blanket and hoodie into the car. I got to the park in a flash and sprinted over to her.

She was curled into herself, like a terrified child, or a baby armadillo trying to protect itself. It was almost as if she was trying to keep herself from disintegrating into nothingness. She was shaking with every breath she took, and it didn't seem to be from the cold. It looked like the tremors started from within and expanded with every sob that left her mouth. I softly touched her shoulder, and she glanced at me slowly.

Her face was stained like red wine on a white carpet. Tears were etched into her skin, like chalk on a blackboard. It hurt me to see her so broken. My heart ached for her.

"Oh Mellie," I whispered, wrapping the blanket around her. She didn't respond, she just bit her lip, trying to hold back her tears. I lifted her drenched body and held her close to me. She rested her head on my chest and her weeping became quiet though she still shook in my arms.

I walked us over to my car and slid her into the passenger seat. I buckled her in, closed the door and then got in on my side. I started the car and let it warm up, turning on Melody's seat warmer and before moving off. I kept glancing her way, checking to see if she was okay. Her head was rested against the window, and she stared blankly ahead of her. At least she'd stopped bawling her eyes out.

The only sounds were the pitter-patter of rain, the thud of the windshield wipers, and the occasional sniffle from Melody. We stopped at a red light, so I turned on the radio. Soft guitar strumming and a low voice sang through the speakers. Driving off again, I stopped at the only place I knew nearby that would be open after 11:30pm. Denny's.