• 21: Interesting •

Melody

The end credits of Project Runway began rolling up on the screen and immediately, I turned to Carson.

"So, what do you think?"

I had to know. I could barely focus the entire time, watching Carson out of the corner of my eye. Did he like it? Hate it? Hate me? Did he regret ever coming up to my room?

"I like it a lot! It's a really great show!" Carson said, making me breathe a sigh of relief. I was glad he enjoyed it, as it was sort of a part of my world. It was the part of my world I felt comfortable showing him. Fashion was interesting and flashy. And while it was personal, it wasn't as personal and complex as other things were. He glanced around my room. "You really love fashion, don't you?" He got off the bed and began looking closely at the magazine cut outs on the walls.

"Mhm." Nervously, my hand reached for a pillow on my bed and pulled it in towards my body. I hugged it tightly, observing Carson walk around.

"Why didn't you say anything about the show when we were talking about television that day in class?" He asked. He didn't turn around, instead he kept moving along the walls.

"I... I don't know," I mumbled. "I guess I don't like talking in front of groups; I guess I thought you guys wouldn't know what it was... maybe I thought you wouldn't find me interesting..." I whispered the last part without realizing. I was shocked when I heard it come out of my mouth.

My eyes were now glued to my light pink comforter, and it surprised me when Carson's hands were suddenly lifting my chin up to make me meet his eyes. My eyes widened slightly in surprise at the gentle and intimate nature of the action.

"Melody Reese, you are the most interesting person I know," Carson told me. His breath fanned over my face, making me realize his proximity. Combined with the sweet words he just said, my heart pounded with emotions that made my head spin.

"I find that hard to believe," I settled on saying. Carson frowned deeply at me and sat down on the bed. "Your friends seem much more intriguing and fun to be around."

"It's not as great as it seems," Carson reminded me gently. "The conversation is usually quite empty and shallow... don't get me wrong; most of them are nice people but the only person that actually has any depth to them is my best friend, Harvey Fuller." He watched my face and smiled. "You still don't believe me?"

"It's just that, from the two times I've seen your table, everyone looks like they're having a blast." I wasn't bitter or even jealous... it was just incredibly mind-blowing that Carson was trying to convince me that I was more captivating to him than the most popular people in school.

"You know what?" Carson exclaimed suddenly. I looked at him curiously. "Do you want to have lunch together on Monday?"

I stared at him wide-eyed. I was beyond thrilled that he'd want to spend an hour of his school day with me, but I didn't think it was the best idea. Rose might just have a conniption, and everyone's eyes would be on me as I ate – or if I didn't.

"I'd love to, but I don't think me in the caf–"

"We can sit where we talked last time; under the trees," Carson suggested, cutting me off. Did he really want this? His eyes seemed hopeful and he smiled brightly at me. How could I turn this handsome boy down?

"Okay. We'll do that on Monday then," I replied, feeling quite excited.

We looked at each other with silly grins on our face. So now what? Were we to keep sitting here? Did he want to continue talking to me? Did he want to go down to the party?

"I like your room," Carson says after a moment.

"Really? My stepmother hates it." I slapped a hand over my mouth, surprised at the honesty and irrelevance of the comment. Carson smiled at me, which made my cheeks heat. "I don't know why I said that."

In reality, I knew it had something to do with the fact that there was something about Carson that made me more honest than I should be.

Carson laughed. "See? Just by being yourself, you are easily the most interesting person I know." I smiled and looked down once again.

"I'm glad you think so," I mumbled. I didn't believe it was so, but Carson made me feel like there was a possibility it could be true.

***

We decided on watching another episode of Project Runway before Carson got hungry. Luckily for him, I had brought up some snacks to munch on. While they were only apples, cherries and some popcorn, he was quite happy with it. I had a few cherries, but it was late, and I couldn't bring myself to eat much past nine. I couldn't tell whether or not Carson was watching me, but either way, he didn't say anything, and I was glad.

Carson rolled his eyes and paused the show suddenly. "I don't like that guy," Carson said, making laughter bubble up in my throat and escape from my lips.

"I don't either. He's too cocky!" I agreed leaning against the headboard.

"Yeah, his designs suck, and I hate the way he says pink" Carson added. I giggled and nodded in agreement.

"Peenk." I mocked making Carson laugh as I wrinkled my nose. "Now that you said that, I don't want to watch him anymore," I groaned, closing my laptop. I put it on my bedside table and turned to face Carson again. "I wanted to say thank you again, for yesterday... it couldn't have been easy to deal with."

"It definitely scared me to see you unconscious, but I'm glad I was there." Carson gave me a smile that sent my heart beating wildly. I smiled back at him, though I bet my smile didn't affect him the way his affected me. I didn't deserve someone like him. He was so perfect and sweet.

"I'm glad you were too," I told him. 

_________

Author's Note: UGH. I hate how short this chapter is! But, the next chapter will be longer! Ahaha Carson and Melody are tooo cuteeee though!! Let me know what you think!

Chapter dedication to Dess because lowkey I just made sure this chapter was up for her and also we met for the first time in 6 years today and it was wild guys LOL! Anyways, yay! Vote and comment! <3