• 57: Fiery Anger •

Melody

The front door opened and closed, making me sit up straight on the couch.

"Ugh. Why is it so cold outside?" Mia's voice seemed to spark something inside me. A burning heat. A fiery anger.

"You!" I yelled, throwing myself onto my feet. "You did this."

"Did what?" Mia asked taking her jacket off.

"Told her! You ruined everything!" My voice seemed to get higher and louder with each word. Mia threw her jacket on a hook, before turning to face me properly.

"What are you talking about?"

"Rose! She told the whole school! The whole school knows who my mother is and it's your fault!"

"What?"

"I know you don't like me! I know you think she belongs with Carson and not me, but did you have to ruin everything?"

"Mel–"

"My friends? What little reputation I had?"

"I didn't tell Rose anything!" Mia yelled, grabbing both of my arms tightly. I stared blankly at her waiting for an explanation. "Like, your stupid Macy's thing came out last, obvi they're going to know."

"Not about my mom! You're the one who talks to Rose."

"Okay... but like, that's a lot of hours to do some digging. It wasn't me but it sounds like someone doesn't like you. Have you asked one of your 'friends'?" Mia used air quotes around the term, as if she still didn't believe I had any. After today, I wasn't so sure I would.

"They wouldn't –"

"Trust me. It's always the losers who want to be friends with people like me that rat their friends out for a shot at it." With that, Mia walked towards the kitchen. "It's cold as balls... I need some herbal tea and a bath bomb."

***

The metrical beating of the treadmill under my feet was mixed with the occasional beeping of me increasing the speed. My breath came out in rhythmic bursts, and I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. The soundscape gave me a sense of euphoria as I ran my body ragged, pushing past the dizziness and the pain.

My mind raced as I wondered how Rose got the information. Did she do it all? See the flyer, find the information, and put together this entire thing? Did she have help? If Mia didn't say anything then was it one of my friends?

I hit stop on the machine, unable to see straight and almost falling off in the process. I managed to get to the floor, blinking rapidly and taking deep breaths. I rolled onto my back and began doing sit-ups.

I didn't tell them anything... how would they know who my mother was? Wouldn't they come talk to me before going to Rose? Why did –

"Melody! Could you hurry up and come to the door? That bath isn't going to take itself!" Mia yelled, her shrill voice piercing through my thoughts.

I sighed and got off the floor, slowly heading towards the stairs. The blood rushed through my body immediately, making my vision blur once again. My hands tightened around the hand railings and I placed my feet slowly, dragging myself out of the basement.

When I managed to get up to the living room, my eyes widened once I saw Carson in the foyer.

"Ugh, finally!" Mia said, turning on her feels. "See you later Carson." The flirtatious tone was not missed by anyone, and I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I asked quietly, embarrassed by the sweaty mess I looked like thanks to my vigorous workout.

"You weren't answering your phone... I wanted to give you space but I had to make sure you were okay," Carson replied.

"Oh. I'm fine. More than fine actually." I pasted on a smile, hoping he'd buy it. "As a matter of fact, I'm great – perfect!" My knees wobbled slightly, but I leaned on the wall, hoping he wouldn't take notice. "Um, come in! Sit!" Carson took off his shoes and followed me into the living room. "Did you want water or something warm? I was going to get water..."

"Water's great," Carson sat down on the couch and smiled, but his eyes followed me cautiously as I disappeared into the kitchen.

In the kitchen, my back found the cool metal fridge and slowly, my body slumped towards the floor, settling on the marble tiles. I stared at the door, willing my legs to feel more like legs and less like gelatine.

After a minute, I stood up, and got the glass of water and walked back out to Carson. I handed him his glass and sat in the same couch a seat over.

"Thanks," he said as I crossed my legs under me.

"Sorry I look this bad... I didn't expect you," I mumbled, sipping my water.

"You look perfect," Carson replied. I wrinkled my nose but didn't respond to the comment. I took another big gulp of water. There was a long pause, an unasked question hanging in the air.

"So, how did Emma, Alani and the rest of them take it?" I finally asked, once the question seemed to sit on my chest, begging to be answered.

"I think they're pretty upset... it's pretty unreasonable if you ask me, but I think you should talk to them tomorrow and sort it out."

Before I could process tomorrow, Margot's voice interrupted the conversation.

"Oh my God! Are you really dressed like that?" she sighed. "Excuse her behaviour... what's your name?"

"Carson," he replied flatly. I glared down at the floor.

"Nice to meet you," she smiled, smoothening her deep blue dress. She turned to me, her face hard once again. "Go change."

"That's okay," Carson said. "I caught her mid-workout, and I'm not staying. I had a question about an assignment."

"Okay," Margot shrugged in her typical passive-aggressive manner. She left the room leaving the two of us alone again.

"Sorry about her."

"You can't let her treat you that way," Carson said taking my hand.

"It's fine," I replied. "So, were they really, really upset? Or just shocked that I didn't say anything?"

"Subtle," Carson noted. I gave him a wry smile "Well, Alani and Emma seemed more upset that you didn't tell them than anything. Noah was pretty shocked, and Harvey's fine. Cora... she seemed like was just egging the whole thing on, but maybe she was really annoyed that you didn't say anything either."

"Oh," I nodded. "Well, maybe tomorrow I can fix it... or move schools; who knows?"

Carson chuckled, but then added seriously, "Who cares if everyone knows? Your friends will come around and you have me. Don't worry about the rest."

"Okay," I sighed. Carson squeezed my hand, which put a faint smile on my lips. I just hoped he was right, and that nothing could get any worse.

__________________

Author's Note: 15,000+ reads!? Thank you all so so much! It's so crazy that it went up 4,000 in the span of a week and a half! You're all amazing! Shout out to nayyirahH14 for your hilarious comments, and to lissy_r5_1915 and Vivid_Book2001 for voting like crazy! I hope you all like this chapter and vote and comment! :)