• 56: Doubt •

Carson

"I'm sorry, did I hit a nerve?" Rose smirked, leaning towards Melody whose fists clenched and unclenched. I watched as her body trembled and she fought to keep her face blank, though the skin covering her cheeks and nose were a burning red. Suddenly, she stood up, making Rose recoil but she didn't hit her. Melody walked right past Rose and headed towards the hallway.

"That was incredibly screwed up Rose," I said, standing up. "Even for you."

Rose's face fell slightly before she composed herself. She stood tall, squared her shoulders and smiled sweetly. "At least everyone knows the truth." She flipped her blonde hair and walked towards her friends.

I rolled my eyes and pushed passed her, jogging out of the cafeteria. The sound of hushed whispers faded, as I stepped into the hallway and the doors closed behind me.

"Melody! Wait!" I called, running behind my girlfriend. Her thin legs carried her passed her locker, without stopping for even her jacket, as she tore out of the school. I stopped at the doors, watching as she walked briskly moved further away from me.

My heart pounded in my chest, aching for me to continue chasing after her. I wanted to reach out, make her stop. But she wanted to disappear for a while. It was written on her face. Though I wanted to change that, I couldn't... but I could try to make it easier on her when she returned.

I walked back to my table in the cafeteria and the conversation going on was tainted with anger and confusion. I sat down next to Harvey, who gave me a pointed look, a silent question. He wanted to know if Melody was okay. I shook my head and he gave a short nod, understanding.

"I am genuinely, shocked. I mean, what a liar..." Cora said.

"I don't even know what to say," Emma started.

"Her mother was a model," Noah said.

"A super model," Alani added.

"So, what? Melody is one too?" Harvey interjected.

"Or trying to be..." Cora replied.

"I can't believe she wouldn't say anything!" Alani snapped.

"Right? Like she could have just told us," Noah agreed.

"You think you know a person..." Emma sighed, placing her chin in her hands.

"Oh, come on guys!" I said incredulously. "Did you really think you knew Melody to begin with? She's quiet. She's has a lot going on and doesn't talk about it – even with me!" I felt fed up by the way they were acting. They sat with her and occasionally hung out outside of school, but they didn't know her. No one really did.

"So, she kept all this from you too?" Alani asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Secretive much?" Cora added.

"Who asked you?" Harvey muttered under his breath. Cora shot him a look, but before anything could escalade, I interjected.

"What I'm saying is, to give her the benefit of the doubt. I was pretty upset about being kept in the dark, but I let her explain everything before making a decision, and I think you should too." I was met with blank stares and avoidant glances.

"I think the real bitch here is Rose," Harvey added quietly. I couldn't agree more.

_______________________

Author's Note: Okay today, Sept. 29, 2017.... #360 in Teen Fiction! And 11,000 reads! I'M SO EXCITED ASDLGDSGSKDGLGK!!! Thank you thank you! Let me know your thoughts on this surprise chapter in Carson's point of view. I know this one is pretty short, but I'm already working on the next one! 

Ps. shoutout to sofiarooks and  raqueljpn for your awesome comments on previous chapters too! :)