Chapter 14: Elder dragons.

Knock knock knock knock
"Mr Caster are you there?"
Dragon pushed Kim's arm off his chest. He sat up in bed, kissing Kim's forehead before leaving the bedroom. He pulled on a black shirt and brown shorts before walking up to the front door and opening it. "What do you want?"
In front of him was a blue-haired woman in a suit with a ear piece in her left ear. She was accompanied by a man with smoke grey hair and dark grey horns curved inwards and a male Dragonborn with black scales and red horns. It was clear that they weren't from the police department, which was a good sign.
"We need to speak to your father. We went to his house earlier but with no avail. Would he be here?" The woman asked.
"If I may ask, why would you need him? He is currently doing a military tour of the Alvarez, so he won't be back anytime soon."
The woman held up a badge, one that said 'Ru'aunian defence ministry.'
"Your father is part of 1st dragon strike squadron. A assassination has just recently taken place and we need him to lead the team."
Dragon nodded. "Right give me a sec." Dragon pulled out his phone and called his dad.
Northern AOA camp. Northern Alvarez 15:46
The man with black hair reloaded his pistol before firing it into a Alvarez soldier. He slammed his head into the soldier, knocking the guy out. He pulled on his helmet and wolf whistled before pulling out a shotgun. His dragon friend was having the time of his life, smashing his way through the soldiers his eyes glowing with excitement. He roared, shaking his massive head several times grinning his face off. Well that was refreshing. Been a while since we did that. The dragon said approaching the man. "Don't get use to it Protis. I don't normally do it for a reason."
Oh come on Libertas. You can't let the past weight you down.
"Don't call me that." The man glared at Protis with unseen hatred. Protis gulped, he knew this look too well. This only happened when he was particularly mad or angry. Angry at himself that he wasn't able to save those he held dear.
Okay okay, calm down Dragon Knight. Last thing I need is you lashing out at me. Dragon knight looked away as he pulled out his cellphone from his pocket. "What do you want Dragon? Someone wants to speak with me? Okay go ahead. Hello? Who is this? Mephina. What do you want? An assassination? Okay who dead? Hayden! Anyone else? His children are missing? And I presume you're calling me because you want me to find the murderer. Okay I'll be back tomorrow tops, I'll see you there Dynamite. Oh I don't give one." Dragon knight closed his phone. He put his weapons back into his holsters. "Protis I need a lift back to camp."
What for? You said that we were staying until October.
"Mephina needs me to help her solve a murder in Phoenix Drop."
Well that's just brilliant ain't it?
"Yeah it is."
I was being sarcastic you know.

Meanwhile with Gold...
Gold slumped down on the kitchen table. Who knew being a bouncer in Downtown Phoenix was so hard? He could have just fallen asleep right there. He dropped his phone on the floor, cursing, he picked it up. Suddenly he felt arms wrapping around his shoulders. He smiled. "Oh hey Jade. How are you?" He said turning his head to face her.
"Good. Sleepyhead do you want something?" She asked standing up and walking to the kitchen top.
"Coffee. Coffee would be nice." Gold yawned, stretching his arms. Jade nodded and turned on the coffee machine. Gold tried to sit up but his aching body refused to move. "So where's Maria?" Gold asked lifting his head. "Well she's on a date with Jay." Jade replied as she waited for the coffee shots to fill the mug. "And she won't be back until 6 ish." She said as she handed Gold the mug full of coffee. Gold grabbed it gratefully and lifted it to his lips. He felt the warm liquid slip down his throat and into his stomach. Suddenly he felt a sharp pain in his abdomen, it felt like he had just swallowed some liquid fire. He yelped out in pain and he fell onto the floor. He squeezed his stomach in pain. "Gold! What in Irene's name?" Jade rushed over to Gold's side as he coughed up some blood. "What's going on?"
It's devil herald venom.  It causes demons to writhe in unbearable pain and if left for too long it will kill them. Jade turned round to see her spirit friend approaching her and Gold. She put her hand on Gold's stomach as he coughed up more blood. Sorry child but this will hurt. Gold shouted out in pain as a orange liquid flowed out of his mouth, he screamed out in pain. He clutched Jade's hand as the pain got more intense. "Is there another way you can do this? You're hurting him!" Jade begged. Sorry Jade. But if you want to save him. This is the only way. It continued until the last of the liquid was out of his stomach. He suddenly went limp. She tried to wake him up until she touched the scar across his nose.
Flashback
All she saw was blood everywhere.

Gold was torn up and beaten, almost beyond recognition. Jay was kneeling beside him, a bloody scar across the side of his face. Gold was taking deep and heavy breaths, his throat had been cut twice leaving a giant tear where his windpipe should have been. She could see Tyrant though the corner of her eye looking on in shock. "Is he going to be okay?" Tyrant asked in alarm. Cywern placed a stethoscope on his chest, which had several stab wounds, she counted to 60 then she removed the metal head from his chest. "A collapsed lung, several broken ribs, four tears in the heart and a damaged stomach. Please tell me. WHAT THE HELL WAS HE FIGHTING???" Cywern shouted at her brother. Dragon looked down in shame. "Eight jury of nine, twenty plus guards and four feral wyverns. There might have been more, I wasn't able to count." Dragon said sheepishly. "Well he won't die. But he'll might be in  a comatose for two plus more weeks, he might not even recognise any of us." She said waving at Alex to bring him back to base.
Two weeks later (we're still in the flashback.)
Gold POV
My eyes twitched opened. The light blinded me for a few seconds before I opened my eyes fully. I could tell I was breathing through a oxygen mask. I used my left hand to pull it off. I found my hand refusing to move at all, I tried to move my hand but my arm responded with sharp pain. I bit my tongue to avoid crying out in pain. I felt something in my left hand, something warm. I squeezed it, I hadn't realised that something heavy was on my arm. I could see Jade lifting up her head and looking around the room. I could briefly see Maria sleeping in a chair in the far left corner covered by a blanket. Jade looked at me, I smiled weakly. "Hey Jade." I whispered with my throat incredibly dry. "Thank Irene you're awake!" Jade shouted. Enough to stir Maria up but not to wake her up. Her eyes were bloodshot from crying. "What happened? All I remember is a bunch of people trying to kill me. And agh..." I felt a sharp pain in my chest. "You've been in a coma for almost two weeks. Apparently you and Dragon had got caught in a Okallisian ambush. You choose to stand your ground and take on several members of the jury of nine, many guards and even some feral wyverns. You came back completely screwed." A tear dropped down onto my face. I used my right hand to stroke away Jade's tears. "Don't cry. You're way more beautiful smiling." I know, it sounds cheesy as flip, but it was the best I came up with.