And The Payment Was Made

Thia's POV

"It's time." Robin glanced at the sky as dark clouds roiled overhead like angry beasts ready to fall from the sky and swallow us whole. "Warriors grab your bows we must head to the city!"

"What about the others?" Leah asked, noting how dangerously close the darkness was to the camp.

"They will remain here." Robin said solemnly. "If we succeed we will be reunited. They have prepared for this. There is nothing to be done."

The idea of children and young women being frozen in an inky darkness made my stomach coil in repulsion. It didn't seem right but Robin was correct. There was no where they could go except into battle.

"You must arm yourselves, Olivia give them armor." Robin instructed his daughter waving for Leah and I to follow.

"Here, choose what you wish." Olivia gestured to a large supply pile that was being guarded by hunting dogs though they seemed rather peaceful at the moment.

"Leah, this is about your size." Grabbing a leather breastplate I tossed it to her. She caught it with a look of thanks before fastening it with ease. One thing our school back in New Rome taught us was dressing for war quickly and with little notice. Work through the adrenaline and keep a level head.

"Damn it." Leah cursed trying to fastened one of the straps but the clasp had broken. Thinking quickly I scrambled over the pile to where she stood ankle deep in supplies and pulled her closer. The clasp was broken and with a grunt I tore it clean from the leather.

Grabbing a knife that rested in the pile I cut at the leather strap until a hole appeared. Slipping the other side of the strap through the hole I pulled it tight. "Is that good? Can you move?"

"Yeah, yeah it's good," Leah nodded. Putting the knife between my teeth I scrambled around until I spotted a nail. One thing about this place, it was extremely unorganized but in the moment it was beneficial. Piercing the nail through the joined pieces of leather I bent it and twisted it into place. The straps wouldn't be coming undone any time soon.

"There." Brushing my hair from my face I had little time to catch my breath.

"Alright let's go, come on!" Robin yelled as a few stragglers joined his ranks.

"Thai. Armor," Leah reminded, but I shoved her away from the pile.

"I'll be fine. We have to go. We can't waste time." She seemed reluctant but nodded and ran to join the group as I found my shield and spear. We weren't too far from the city and as we drew closer, running like mad men across the terrain, I could hear the chaos.

There was a battle raging. It was one of the biggest the world had ever seen. Robin lead the group into the fray. His red hair acted as a beacon. Making our way through the city wasn't hard. We simply had to follow the commotion until we arrived.

It was a lot to take in. There were hundreds of demigods of all races, genders, and nationalities together in one place fighting beasts only nightmares could conceive.

Dark skinned and fierce warrior women wrestled what looked to be a cross between a lion and a rhinoceros. A Russian and an Amazon lifted a car from on top of a comrade. Arrows arched expertly through the sky and spears slashed through the air.

I spotted Uncle Jason caught in an aerial battle with flying monsters hot on his heels. There was Uncle Percy surrounded by a torrent of water snatching up unfortunate victims like a horrifying kraken. Uncle Nico slipped in and out of shadows with his scary battle smirk.

"For Narnia!" My ears perked up at this and I nearly smiled watching Maria, with Jaxon following closely behind, leap off a car and onto the back of a monster.