Constellations

Thalia's POV

It was somewhat lonely without Reyna but I managed fairly well. That was until two days passed and I hadn't heard anything from her at all. I tried not to worry for Thia's sake. She seemed happier than normal and I'd heard two names pop up frequently in our conversations together.

"So you finally have friends?" I had asked in a teasing manner.

"Yes. Speaking of which is it okay if I sit with them during dinner?" I hadn't been expecting the question and to be perfectly honest it kind of stung a bit. Then again, she was older now and I figured she'd try and branch out eventually.

"Yeah sure," I shrugged, seeing her eyes light up happily. It was odd being the only one of my family sitting at our usual table. I could see Thia across the way being her usual bubbly self.

She was talking animatedly to a boy whose style I admired and a girl with auburn hair and freckles across her nose. They seemed to get along nicely. In a way, I was glad Thia had found people to hang out with but with that I knew her interests would surround them instead of chilling at home with me. It was a double edged sword.

It was hard to believe that she was already sixteen. I mean, just yesterday it seemed like she was learning to walk. In fact, I clearly remembered her first steps because I hadn't been expecting them at all.

I'd been away for a while aiding Artemis as I did occasionally, which I enjoyed, but I couldn't ignore the fact that I missed home. Walking through the front door tiny little Thia had been laying on her stomach staring intently at a toy car like she could get it to move with just her eyes.

Her attention immediately shifted and focused on me. Man if I could only explain the look that shifted her features into such a wonderful expression. Her cheeks which were still rather chubby due to her youth held two small dimples and her eyes nearly squinted shut with happiness and the few teeth she had shone brightly.

It was one of those moments that you wish you could hold onto forever. Happiness that www pure and raw which was only ever expressed by the innocence of youth. Where they had yet to learn what cruel things the world could hide.

With careful precision she stood up which she'd been able to do for a little while. Teetering awkwardly on her legs  she held out her small arms excitedly and stumbled her way over.

At first, I was worried she would fall but she didn't. Twelve steps later and she'd latched onto my leg giggling adorably, the sound similar to tiny bells ringing.

I didn't really know what to say. I just kind of stood there for a moment dumb founded before scooping her up into my arms and showering her chubby little cheeks with kisses.

The memory made me smile slightly and I recalled yet another. Thia's eighth birthday. She had sprouted like a bean pole and was all skinny limbs, elbows, and knees. She was quite the tom boy and every pair of pants she owned had ripped knees from diving in soccer games and rolling around in the grass.

She didn't mind getting dirty at all. In fact, she seemed to try and purposely get dirty much to Reyna's disliking. Thia also had a knack of getting hurt. She had scraped knees or scraped elbows nearly all the time so we kept a surplus of bandaids around.

Sadly, on this particular birthday she was sick. The poor kid had stayed up all night with a horrible cough and a high fever so whatever party had been planned was cancelled.