Tomorrow's Meeting

Thalia's POV

"I hope this is the right direction because I am not about to turn around and start over," Leah grumbled, ducking under a tree branch while Grover took the lead in showing us the way out. We had been walking for some time and I was certain we had to at least be close to getting out of this crumby stretch woodlands.

"I'm certain we're going the right way," Grover assured, trying to sound positive. At least he was making an attempt. The rest of us weren't even trying to put up fake smiles. I got the feeling we all just wanted this to be over. I certainly did. Part of me wanted to pretend that none of it had happened but that wasn't possible. Something was going on and I intended to find out.

"What's the plan when we get there?" I asked, walking carefully over a rather rocky section of the trail. Andy was not as fortunate; he stumbled twisting his ankle sharply and would have suffered more injuries if I hadn't managed to catch his elbow.

"Shit," he winced, hopping on one foot his face twisted up in a grimace.

"Figures," I sighed, glancing down at his twisted ankle which was already starting to swell. Before he could protest, I slipped him onto my shoulders in a fire man's carry. "Hang on princess."

Reyna shot me an amused look while Thia tried to hide her laughter but failed miserably at doing so. Andy grumbled something I couldn't quite make out but I was certain it was some sort of complaint.

"Don't laugh kid," Andy warned. Thia's shoulders tensed slightly.

"I'm not a kid how many times do I have to tell you that?" She frowned.

"You give her a hard time and I'll drop you so the monsters can have dinner." I didn't have to see his face to know he took my words seriously, as he should.

At last, Grover gave a happy cry and the black tree line broke out into open sky though it was dark. The stars glittered brightly up above and the moon was full for once. The creature that had taken an odd liking to Thia bounded ahead with its wings stretched open.

"Hey, we're pretty close to camp!" Thia clapped, bouncing on the balls of her feet. "Let's go."

She was about to run off when Reyna caught her by the back of the shirt. "Easy does it. We can't just go barging in."

"Speak for yourself," Thia laughed, twisting free and running off excitedly. "Leah come on! You can meet all of my cousins!"

Thia grabbed her friend by the arm and practically dragged her in the direction of camp. Grover looked over his shoulder at me his eyebrows raised in a humor filled expression.

"No need to say it. I know, she gets her spontaneous energy from me. I've been told countless times. I'm guilty as charged." Grover laughed and shook his head but there was no denying it. Thia was impossibly similar to me at times.

"As comfy as your shoulders are, can we hurry up and get there? My leg is killing me," Andy piped up and I'd almost forgotten he was conscious since he'd gone quiet.

"For someone who's dying you seem pretty alive to me." It was a horrible joke but I couldn't help myself. Andy let out an agonized sigh and if he hadn't been dead already he surely was now. There's nothing that killed people more than dad jokes.

"If you think that's bad wait until you meet Nico and Will. Their poor kid has twice as many dad jokes." Reyna smiled at the mere thought of Nico and Will. They were the worst when it came to bad jokes. Their little boy asked if they could make him a sandwich once and Nico replied with 'Bibitty bobbity boo you are now a sandwich.'

There was also one particular instance where their son asked for ice water so Will just got him a glass of ice and said ' You asked for ice water. Enjoy.' No one had the right to complain about dad jokes after those two adopted a kid.