Flash

Reyna's POV

I woke up to a sudden flash of movement in the spot next to me, it was unexpected, and my brain immediately went into overdrive. My eyes tried to see through the dark but it didn't take me long to realize there was no threat to be had.

Thin wispy rays of moonlight snuck in through the windows illuminating Thalia's pale and bare back. Her shoulders shook slightly and her breath came quick in the silence.

"You okay?" I asked, earning a slight jump from the sudden break in quiet.

"Y-yeah just a dream is all." She glanced over her shoulder, bright blue eyes glittering wearily in the dim light. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's fine. Is it an old one or something new?" We'd both grown used to many sleepless nights due to nightmares. It was ironic in a way, how intimate I'd become with nightmares. How intimate we both had.

"Old," Thalia sighed, running a hand through her hair which remained wild from last night.

"Mmmm." Those were sometimes the worst types of nightmares. They were familiar and somehow that was scarier. "Which one?"

"Gwen." Was the short reply. This was a frequent one. In fact, we'd spent many nights whispering quietly about it. Thalia had told me numerous times how it happened and as much as I tried to assure her it wasn't her fault the guilt of killing a friend would never really go away.

"I see." There wasn't much for me to say. Thalia would talk on her own. While she gathered her thoughts I took the opportunity to study her appearance further.

Despite the tired look in her eyes she really was a breathtaking sight. Even after all this time I never really got used to how beautiful she was. I knew the same thing went for her. There were times I would catch her staring almost like she was seeing me for the first time.

Her pale bare skin seemed to radiate a stronger aura in the faint moonlight, sort of like she was made out of pure silver. She was lithe and lean, practically built like a predator in the wild. She was all muscle and sleek angles. The place where her collar bone ended at her shoulders stuck up a bit sharper than most people's- a trait I absolutely adored.

Some would think it a problem that her hip bones seemed to be almost too prominent but she was built for running. Any elite runner I had seen had prominent hep bone big there was a secret when it came to this trait. If I skimmed my thumb very lightly over the path of the bone Thalia wasn't able to control the shiver that would inevitably follow.

Only there was one thing that Thalia despised most about herself that I didn't mind. She'd never really mentioned it but I noticed through small actions and remarks on her part that she was disgusted with her flat chest.

To me she was perfect but when I asked about this insecurity of hers she simply told me that junior high kids were little shits. I knew she'd had a very bad past when it came to bullying and I could only imagine the things some people would say.

I asked Jason at one point and though he was a bit awkward at answering he'd told me it was because they compared her to a little boy. I'd been told plenty of stories about that. For instance the time some kids at her school tried to shove her in the boys' restroom.

I supposed that this trait was a bit of a reminder about that dark period of her life. Though I found it very fitting that despite their onslaught of comments she grew up to be a very attractive and incredible person. To me that was the ultimate revenge but Thalia didn't see it that way.