Sunrise

Reyna's POV

The morning weather was cold, cold enough that my breath clouded in front of my face. I was the only one awake and not a soul was in sight. Not even the harpies who were supposed to be on night duty.

I should have worn warmer clothes but the cold was sort of nice. Numbing in a way. My wandering mind had kept me awake all night. While I knew it was dangerous to push myself like this I couldn't help it. Sure, exhaustion wasn't good on my heart, Will had told me time and time again that I had to be more careful ever since I'd died in that arena, but Will wasn't with me at the moment.

Closing my eyes I could replay the whole scenario. My mother who had been gone my entire life had died for me. I don't think I really understood what kind of sacrifice that was until now. A real parent would do anything for their kid. The same went for me. It wasn't something I planned but if it was my life or Thia's- hell if it was Grey, Emily, Jaxon, Sol, or Maria- I'd do the same.

I knew all of us adults would. It wasn't a question of if but when. It was an unspoken rule amongst us I supposed. Shaking my head I scanned the area trying to find something that would capture my thoughts instead of the ones already plaguing me.

That's when I spotted Nico, still tall and lanky after all these years, pale as paper too, but older none the less. It was hard because I remembered quite clearly when he was small and his arms were hardly bigger than toothpicks.

He was doing something, he had a book in his hand and seemed to be reading it. Curiosity got the best of me and I crossed the green grass to where he sat by a fountain.

"What are you doing?" I asked. His eyes flicked up from the pages and I caught the cover of the book. Burial rituals. He patted the spot on the ground next to him. Sitting down he closed the book gently.

"I'm assuming I'm the only one who knows." He said, voice careful. My nerves set on edge.

"Who is it?"

"Andy," Nico replied. "He died not long ago. I could feel it. I saw it in a dream. Quite nasty."

"I had no idea. That's horrible! Are the others okay? Thia? Leah?" My brain instantly recalled the prophecy. Two were supposed to die. One had already happened and the poor kid hadn't even been claimed that long ago.

"Yeah they're okay but for some reason I'm getting a weird aura about them." Nico frowned. "I can't explain it but it's off."

"Oh." A moment of silence settled between us.

"Thia did a pretty good job though," Nico smiled.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"She buried him. Properly. She said a blessing, gave their last drachma, and burned his body in a pyre so it wouldn't be disturbed later causing his soul to wander. As far as I can tell he'll be swiftly on his way to judgment in the Underworld," Nico smiled, patting my shoulder. "Guess she picked up something from me, yeah?"

"Well, I mean you were the one who taught her how to do that sort of thing because she cried over a dead pigeon and felt bad about it." The memory caused Nico to laugh.

"Didn't she name it? The little thing was called Phil I believe. Gave him a bagel and a flower as gifts to rest on his grave," Nico shook his head, his hair still long after all these years. A few strands flopped in front of  his eyes. "Gosh, she was so tiny and then just hit a growth spurt out of no where in fifth grade. I hadn't seen her for a while. I drop by one day and suddenly this bean pole of a kid tackles me in a hug."

"Bean pole of a kid? Nico you were the bean pole kid. You were this big around the arms." I held up my hand making a small circle for reference. "I'm surprise you could ever hold a sword."

"I grew into my lankiness," Nico huffed.

"Right." In truth he had, but only a little bit. His metabolism was somehow a million times faster than someone like Percy or Jason.

"How about we pick a different topic, like why you're out this early in the morning?" He questioned, raising his eyebrows.

"I'm always an early riser and I just couldn't sleep." Shrugging I glanced at the horizon where the sun was starting to finally come up.

"Thinking too much?" Nico asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yep. I can never just shut off my brain," I sighed, Nico gave me a sympathetic look.

"You're gonna die young if you always worry like this."

"How many times have I told you I'm probably gonna die early anyways?" Nico held up his hands in submission and gave a small smile.

"You and me both," He sighed, running a thumb over the spine of the book. "So...do you think this whole end of the world thing may be for the best?"

The question surprised me. "How do you mean?"

"I mean look at us." Nico sighed tucking his knees up to his chest. "Don't you think it's a bit exhausting? All of this? Over and over again?"

"I'd be lying if I told you I didn't," I admitted.

"Maybe it's the fates deciding it's time for us to rest. Ever since the prophecy of seven I thought things could be normal you know? Then the Civil War in New Rome happened and other minor things, now this. I can't help but wonder how much of this is will repeat itself." I could see the tiredness grow in his eyes and the way his shoulders slouched. "Is it cruel that we'll pass this revolving destiny onto our kids?"

"As long as there are gods, we will never get the peace we need." Closing my eyes I could see them, the others, older now and tired. It was subtle but it was there.

The way Jason had slight lines on his forehead from scowling so much in thought and analysis. The way his eyes seemed to be a bit dimmer.

Piper's rambunctious attitude had faded and she slowed to admire the simple things like it'd be the last time she saw a sunrise or a new moon.

Frank would spend most of his time teaching younger kids. I'd asked him why and he replied that it was his job to leave the world in better hands than his own. Like he was already preparing for the day he'd be gone.

Hazel kept a journal. I'd seen it on occasion. It held impeccable drawings and stories about all of us. Like she was trying to preserve us while she had the chance.

Leo, though he had a kid of his own, was always one to step up for the youngsters of the others. As though he thought perhaps he wasn't special but he was special enough for them. His maturity was more prominent than his humor now.

Annabeth constantly instilled as much knowledge into the kids as she could. It seemed she knew one day they wouldn't be able to waltz up to her and ask questions. That she wanted to prepare them as best as she could while she had the chance so they were independent.

Percy who'd scolded certain activities at camp could be found at the crafts table with the smallest of campers. Nico said he'd asked why Percy had changed his opinions on such things. Percy had replied, "It's been years since I've had the pleasure of coloring Nico. Sometimes I just want to draw a rainbow. I don't see many anymore."

Will had binders and binders full of medical information and experiences archived away for future generations who would inevitably replace him.

"You know Nico, sometimes it's okay to be tired." He glanced at me from the corner of his eyes and shifted so his head rested on my shoulder. "It's been ages since I've seen a sunrise."

"Me too," he sighed. "Why don't we just stay like this for awhile?"

"I would like nothing more." So we sat there by the fountain watching the blazing sun crawl slowly up the horizon.