Chapter 1

Z O Y A

Zoya is an East African origin name, meaning 'dawn'

Zoya is an East African origin name, meaning 'dawn'. It's popular not just in Ethiopia, but also Arabic countries.

I was born with that name for a reason. I was born at dawn when my father was gone to work and my mom was home alone by herself. She gave birth to me all on her own.

I'm 22 years old now. Just turn 22 in June. I'm so blessed cause in my country, girls my age will either be broke or pregnant struggling to get a job or married just to have money.

Me, I move away from my parents and move to the United States. The most hated country for what they done to my people. The people here are so mean and don't care about each. Have no respect at all. Just sad.

I live in Boston. It's nice here but sometimes I get home sick.

"ጠዋት ፀሐይ {morning sun}"I stretch out of bed. I look at the sun as it came up from behind the buildings. Usually I like seeing the dark sky when it's morning.

"Morning Zoya"my sister zabel walk in the room.

"Morning"I said to zabel. Zabel is 18 years old and just got out of high school going to college. I'm proud of her.

"Get up, you have work"she threw the pillow at me. "And I need a ride to the store"

"Why?"I walk to the bathroom.

"My first day at my new job"she jump up and down. I forgot we had a downstairs neighbor.

"Zabel stop. Remember miss hank hate when you jump up and down while she's sleep"I said laughing.

"Like I care about what that old lady said"she said.

"Zabel, you can't say that"I said.

"So what"she walk out my room. I went to the bathroom so I can do my morning routine.

After that, I got dress in my scrubs and put some coconut oil in my hair just to make it shine. I grab my bag, keys, and phone with headphones then walk out the door.

"Zabel, come on. Let's go!"I yelled.

"I'm coming, I'm coming"she jogged downstairs with a two piece on. What the fuck?

"What is that zabel?"I ask.

"My outfit for work"she said.