Chapter 25. Cousins

I ran forward and kneeled down beside her. I held down the spot she was shot in. She was losing a lot of blood, I forced myself to not look away. 

"Stay with me!" I screamed, pressing her wound harder. My hands painted with her blood, but I didn't care.

"Uhhhh..." Was all that came out of her mouth. I placed a hand under her head and lifts it up.

"Someone call the hospital!" Crystal yells into the crowd. No one seems to hear though, they were all too busy freaking out and screaming.

"Sasha! Don't you dare die!" I shook her entire body. "I'll never forgive myself, please!" I yelled as my tears fell onto her face.

"I can't--"Sasha's voice was cut off as she scrunches her face up again, groaning as she held the red spot. 

Then she closes her eyes. Her body falls limp.

I placed a hand on her chest. Her heartbeat was fading...

"No, no, no!" I grabbed her shoulders and shook my head furiously. "Please just hold on for a bit longer!" 

She didn't reply. She wasn't moving at all. 

"Wait!" I screamed. But I knew she couldn't. I hugged my head and cried. She laid there unmoving. Her blonde hair spread out under her like a cloth.

I placed her down gently on the grass. The students behind me were in complete panic mode. Screaming mixed with crying.

I can't believe she's gone. My best friend is gone. A minute ago she was still alive and standing behind me...and now--

"Why did you try to save me?" I was crying so hard, all I could manage was a whisper.

I slammed my fists down on the solid ground, hoping that would numb the pain. I kept doing it until the side of my hand was bloody. 

"Luna! Stop!" Will runs over to me and grabbed both of my arms, holding them in place.

"Get away from me!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. I tried to push him away, but he didn't go. Instead, he wraps his arms around me and holds me.  

I cried into his shoulders as he held on tighter. Crystal kneels down beside us, she grabbed my hand and squeezed. I didn't care if it was ice cold, I held on.

The entire school came around us and formed a circle. They bowed their heads and stood in silence. 

I shut my eyes and waited for this to be over. I tried to convince myself that this was a dream. That I'm gonna wake up and Sasha will be there, trying to annoy me. But I knew perfectly well it wasn't a dream.

It was a nightmare...

I opened my eyes when the students around me started to murmur. Confused, I pushed away from Will and looked up. 

The circle broke apart, and a girl walked through. 

Wait, what?

I rubbed my eyes and cleared away my tears to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Sure enough, I wasn't...

"Allison?" I looked up at the nerdy girl. Only now she looked different. She wasn't wearing her glasses. "What are you doing here?" I stuttered.

She didn't answer the question. Instead, she stuck her hand out. 

I looked at her confused. She gives me a stern look. "Come on, your friend doesn't have long." 

What? 

Hesitantly, I took her hand and got up. She walks over to Sasha and kneels down beside her.

She's being watched by the crowd like a circus. She placed a hand on Sasha's wound and closed her eyes. She mumbles some words that I don't recognize.