Chapter 11. Mysterious Figure

Everyone got on their feet and started looking around.

"Man, Starlight is huge." Will stares up at the ceiling.

"Don't get me wrong. I hate it here, but I've got to admit, this place is pretty damn amazing." Sasha leaned on the balcony railing beside Crystal.

"Guys, let's go." I got up and stood beside the stairs leading down. "We only have until 1am."

Sasha nodded and gestures for everyone to follow. We crept down the stairs and onto the grass. I tried to make them walk faster, but they were very distracted by the water fountain.

We hide in the shadows and ran to the front gate. Just as I was about to take another step, I stopped. There was a man standing there. He wore a guard's uniform.

"Guys stop!" I whispered and opened my arms, backing them up behind a bush. We squat down and waited.

The man turned around suddenly. I gasped. He looked around suspiciously. Shining his flashlight around.

We held my breath as he started walking closer.

Oh no! We're doomed.

He stops just before our bush.

Then he turns the other way.

I let my breath out.  He didn't see us. I turned and whispered. "What are we gonna do?"

"Maybe I can freeze him?" Crystal suggested.

"No, if he freezes and people finds him, they'll know it's the work of villains." I whispered, turning back to check if he's still there. He was. But he was facing away.

I look up at the sky. It was cloudy. No stars were showing. And it was a foggy night. I wouldn't be surprised if it started raining. I looked over at Storm. The small girl sat in the dark curled into a ball.

I tap on her shoulders. She looked up nervously. "What?" She whispered, looking quite scared.

I leaned in closer to her. "Can you make it rain?" I pointed up at the sky.

She looks confused. "Rain?"

I nodded. "If you make it rain, the guard might go away."

She looks up at the cloudy sky. "Oh okay." She nods.

She crawled out of the bush and stood up, but still hidden in the shadows. She closes her eyes and clenched her fists.

Sasha taps me. "What's she doing?" she said while glancing at her.

"She's gonna make it rain." I whispered back.

Her eyes went wide. "What! No! My hair!" She screeched before I clamped my hand down on her mouth.

I whirled around. Oh no! The guard heard her!

He narrowed his eyes, and stalked towards us. "Is someone there!" He called.

NO NO NO! He was getting closer and closer. Until his foot was a few steps away from kicking me. He still hasn't noticed us, but he started moving again.

That's it. Were done! Doomed! Finished!

He stood on his tiptoes to see over the bush. But then...

Boom!

The thunder rang out like a gun in the night.

The guard jumped back.

He looks up at the sky looking terrified. I felt raindrops on the top of my head. Then it started raining. No, it was POURING!

The guard turned on his heels and sprinted the other way.