Chapter 13. We're in Huge Trouble

"You wanna come in?" Matt asked. Holding the door open for me.

Crap.

The whole reason I was waiting for Rin was that I didn't want to go in alone to see Matt. And I've waited outside by the corner of the store to avoid being seen by him. But I guess that didn't work out.

He was still waiting for my reply.

"Um sure," I said. "Rin probably won't show up soon." I walked into the cafe, avoid touching him when I went through the door. 

I ordered a chocolate latte. I was gonna pay with the money I brought, but Matt refused. "It's on the house." He said, handing me the drink.

I thanked him and sat down at the same table I sat in on the first day. I glanced out at the front gate. Other students were arriving, but still no sign of Rin. I feel awkward in here. Just me and Matt. I peeked out the corner of my eyes and saw him wiping some tables on the other side of the room.

I watched him. He puts so much concentration into his work. His eyebrows furrowed when he saw a spill of coffee on the table. He rolls his eyes and started wiping it off, his face filled with disgust. I giggled softly.

Suddenly, he looks up at me. I froze and stared. 

"Take a picture," He said. "It lasts longer." And gives me a cocky smile. 

I blushed furiously and looked down. I heard him chuckle as he returned to the counter. Was I really staring at him for that long? I stared out the window again for a while. Hoping to see Rin. 

"Mind if I sit?" Matt suddenly appeared in front of me, a cup of tea in hand, gripping the chair in front of me.

I nearly choked on my drink. I stared up at him while he smiled down at me. "Yeah sure," I said quickly.

He sits down in Rin's seat. We both sipped our drinks in silence. I wonder if I should start a conversation. I felt very uncomfortable and awkward, while he looks relaxed and doesn't seem to mind my presence.

I peeked down at my backpack resting against my chair. The spellbook peeking out under my pencil box. I glanced back at Matt, he scrolls through his phone. I bent down quietly and grabbed the book. I flipped through it till I got a spell that caught my eye.

The truth spell.                                                                                                                                                                       Make anyone speak the truth. They will forget it all afterwards.

I glanced back up at him. He was still on his phone. Perfect...

I mumbled the spell with my head down.

Matt looks up. "Did you say something?" 

"Yes," I smiled back. "Do you know anything about the poisoning at Venom High?" 

His eyes turned white and lifeless; he was spelled. He spoke mechanically. "No."

"Do you have any idea who would poison the food?" I asked.

"No, definitely not." He said in the same robotic tone.

I sighed. Looks like I can't get an answer from him. I'll try the others later. I twirled my fingers in the air.

Colors returned to his eyes. He blinks and looks around confused. "Did I just...fall asleep?" He asked.

"No, you just zoned out for a while." I said. Trying to sound truthful. Giving away no sign that I just spelled him.