Chapter 17. Another Accident

I banged on my dorm room door repeatedly. "Sasha! Crystal! Open up! I forgot my keys!" I screamed frantically. I just ran all the way from the science room and back. I had to tell the girls what I saw. 

"I know you're in there!" I continued slamming my fist into the hard wooden wall.

Hey! shut it! 

I gasped when a girl's voice called out in my mind.

Who's this? I thought back.

It's Amy, I live in the dorm next to you. The voice said in an annoyed tone.

Right, Amy. The annoying girl who communicates through minds. I thought as I rolled my eyes.

I heard that! Amy snaps loudly, causing my head to throb. 

"Ow!" I grabbed my head. I forgot she can hear me. 

Keep it down! I'm trying to sleep. She says.

Alright! Sorry!  I thought back as I hear her yawn loudly in the dorm next to mine.

At that moment the door swung open. Revealing Sasha with a hideous green face mask on. My breath caught in my throat. She glared at me intensely. "Was the banging necessary?"

"Um, yeah!" I stepped in and slammed the door shut. Crystal walks out the kitchen and stares at me wide-eyed. 

Sasha's face suddenly changes, as if she just remembered something.

"I need to tell you something!" We both said at the same time. Then we gape at each other while Crystal opens a bag of chips and watches us like a movie. 

"Well, you go first." I tell Sasha. 

"Ok." She says. She twiddles her fingers and looks down for a second. "Uh...two more students have been sent to the hospital again." 

"What!" I dropped my bag on the floor. "Who!"

"Zara and Zach." She sighs.

My body went stiff. "The...animal morphing twins?" I choked out.

"Yeah..." I can see her troubled expression even through that ridiculously thick green gunk on her face.

I tried to process what she's saying. "But...but it's Sunday! There's no lunch! And I thought you told everyone to stay away from it!" I half screamed.

"Yes, but see the thing is..." She trails off. 

"What?" I demanded.

"Um...it wasn't because of the lunch... it was the water from the drinking fountains." She says. My eyes widen. She began to tell the events."They said they were taking a stroll around the fields, and they stopped for a sip of water." Her face darkens. "They immediately felt a sharp pain in their stomachs. So bad that they fell on the floor and couldn't move. And what's worse, whatever's in that water made their powers go out of control." She made no signs to continue after that.

And I don't think I want to know either. But I sucked it up and asked. "What happened?"

"Um, apparently they both turned to fish. And no matter how hard they tried they couldn't turn back. They were without water for a long time. They barely made it." She says. "Fortunately, someone found them, threw them in a fish tank, and rushed them to the hospital. They were able to change back, but they're in critical condition right now." She scratches her hair nervously.

My hands flew up to my mouth. "How did the water get poisoned!" I exclaimed.

"No one knows!" Sasha cries. "But what we do know is that the water comes from the normal's side of town too."