Chapter 22. Unmasked

Storm screamed and pulled me with her. We ran down the long hall. The figure close behind us.

I ran past Storm and yanked open the door to our room. We jumped in and I look out for a second. I screamed when I discovered he was right outside our door. Before he could wedge his legs between the door, I slammed it in his face.  

We both jumped onto my bed and held onto each other. Hoodie was now banging on the door, but only banging, no yelling or cursing, or anything like that. 

We huddled together, our breaths in our throat. The door was vibrating, it doesn't look like it's gonna hold. So I braced myself for the worse.

"Hey!" I hear the booming voice of a man. "What are you doing!" 

Next came the sound of running. It became fainter and fainter until it was gone completely. And then silence.

We both yelped when a someone knocked on the door. 

Whoever's outside must have heard our cry of horror. "Hey, it's ok. He's gone." Said the same voice but softer.

I hesitated, then I untangled myself from Storm and my bed, and crept over and opened the door. "Hello?" 

A young doctor stood outside, peering into the room. "Are you guys okay?"

"Yes, we're fine." I said, but my pale face clearly says otherwise. "Where is that guy?" I stepped out and looked down the hall.

"Escaped." He said shaking his head. "But it'll be alright, pretty sure he won't be coming back." 

"Oh," Storm lets out a sigh of relief behind me. "Thank god."  

I bit my lips before asking. "That person, he was in the room at the end of the hallway to the right." The doctor raises his eyebrows then ushers me to continue, so I did. "Can you go see, what that room contained?" 

He looks at me strangely for a second, as if suspicious of my request, but he nodded and headed down the hall towards the room.

I waited patiently in the room with Storm. She was still a bit shaken up after that, but I bundled her up in blankets and she seems to be comfy now. 

The doctor returns. Panic plastered all over his face. 

"What's wrong?" I got off my bed and asked.

"That room..." His eyes darting in that direction repeatedly. "It contains dangerous chemicals." 

My heart drops. What? Dangerous chemicals! 

"And I'm afraid he might have taken some." He scratches his head and shifted his weight from foot to foot, as if wanting to run away. "I'm sorry, I need to make a call." And with that, he disappeared into the air, literally. 

I turn and saw that Storm had the same expression I had on; shock. 

I closed the door. Making sure I locked it, then leap onto my bed. 

"Dangerous chemicals," I said, widening my eyes and shaking my head. I snapped my head around to face Storm, surprising her. "Dangerous chemicals!" I practically yelled. She recoils at my sudden outburst. 

But I couldn't help it. If I had tried to unmask the criminal instead of running away from him, I would have solved this case by now!

"Ugh!" I did a backward dive into my bed. Staring up at the ceiling with my mouth open. 

When I slammed the door in his face. If only I didn't do that! If only I reached out and pulled off the hoodie, I would have seen the face!

"Gaaaaa!" I made sounds of frustration while I rolled around. Storm watching me like I've gone insane, which is exactly what I feel like. Insane enough to rip out my hair!