Chapter 16. Failed again

"Try thiz!" The man grabbed a yellow one piece and lays it out in my hands.

I tried to find a way out of this. "Hey listen, I..." 

He grabbed an entire stack and plops them down in my extended arms. Then he grabs my shoulder and pulls me the other way while I try to balance the incredibly heavy tower of swimsuits. 

"Get in here!" He gently pushes me into a changing cubicle. "Show me you're favorite when you're done." He says. Then he shuts the door with a click.

I set the stack down on a little stool beside the mirror. "Just put on the stupid swimsuits." I muttered.

I grabbed the first one off the stack. I slipped it on and looked in the mirror. I frowned. It was a golden one piece, which looked awfully out of place with my skin tone. I shook my head and changed into another.

Now this one was wayyyyyy too revealing. It was so small, I feel more naked in it then if I was actually naked. I took it off in disgust.

My back hurted from bending down to grab all those swimsuits. It was just one after another and then I frown when I see how odd I look. I sighed in frustration when I got to the eighth swimsuit. 

All of them were either too plain, too revealing, too tight, too loose, or too girly. 

There were a few more on the stool. I lost my patience and decided to stop trying them on one by one. I kneeled down and rummaged through the last few and found one that looked decent. I pulled it on. 

It fits like a glove. I stared at myself in the mirror. This one was a cross-front one piece. It was dark blue, my favorite color, and speckled with tiny white spots. Making it look like the night sky. 

I love it. 

I reached down to my thigh and grabbed the price tag. $60. Affordable.

"I found one!" I called. 

"Oh goodie!" The man called back from outside. "Show me!" 

Urm? So do I just step out in this and show him? I felt a bit awkward about walking out there in the middle of the store. Oh, What the hell?  I ignored the insecurities and opened the door.

He takes a looked at me. Nodding his head in approval with his hand holding his chin. Then he smiles and clapped slowly. "Vonderful! Best I've seen all day."

I scoffed quietly. What is this? America's Got Talent? But it feels awesome to find a swimsuit that not only I, but others think looks good. 

"I think I'll have this one." I smiled down at it. 

"Great!" The man waves his hand around excitingly. 

"Can I keep it on?" I asked. "I'm going to the beach right now." 

"Sure thing! Just give me ze tag." He grabbed a pair of scissors from his desk and cut it off the swimsuit. I pulled on my shirt and jeans, leaving the swimsuit under. I paid and left the shop.

It took me about 5 minutes to get to the beach. I took off my shoes and let my feet sink into the soft and warm sand. I pulled off my clothes leaving the swimsuit on. I rubbed on some sunscreen I brought from home. And set my stuff down on a beach chair and sat down cross-legged on it.

I took a deep breath, staring at the waves while taking in the sweet scent of it. The sun appeared from behind a cloud, blurring my vision. I covered the top of my head with one of my hands and squinted my eyes. I shifted in my seat to look around me.

Kids splashing each other in the ocean. A guy with dark sunglasses on sat on a bucket and played a country song on his guitar. An elderly woman lying down, reading some romance novel. The sound of seagulls squawking blends in with the sound of the waves. It's exactly like the ambient sounds I sometimes listen to when I couldn't sleep.