Chapter 23. Supernaturals

I can't even begin to process this.

Mrs. Scarlet is the one that poisoned the students? No, no, no. This must be a mistake, it can't be her. She loves the students.

I grabbed a familiar vial of poison off the shelf. I turned it around in my hands and squinted at the tiny prescriptions printed on the back. 

Alestile

My eyes widen. I can hear my own heartbeat. 

All of these vials, they contain every poison I've found. The two I found in the water and lunch. The others are the ones stolen from the hospital. 

There's no logical explanation that Mrs. Scarlet isn't the criminal. It has to be her.

I...I need to warn everyone.

"Snooping around are we?" An icy voice said. 

My body went stiff and cold.

Crap! 

My hands shot up in like I was being arrested. I turned around slowly. 

Mrs. Scarlet leaned against the doorway. Arms crossed, giving me the scariest death stare. 

I didn't know what to do. I've been caught. Should I run? Should I scream? I ignored the temptation to push past her and escape. Instead, I held my ground. "Is it you?" I choked out.

She didn't speak for a long second, then she looks at me dead in the eyes. "Yes."

My eyes widen further as I shook my head in disbelief. I don't know what to feel right now. Anger? Sadness? Horror? I think all of them. 

I felt like fainting. It's all happening too fast. I gripped the side of the shelf to prevent myself from collapsing. 

I steadied myself and asked. "Why?" It came out like a whimper. She sneered and didn't reply. My blood boiled as I exploded. "WHY!" I screamed, slamming my fist down hard on the shelf, causing it to vibrate.

But she didn't seem bothered by it. She didn't even flinch. Then she finally spoke. "You wanna know why?" I opened my mouth and nothing came out, so she continued. "You're the reason why." 

What? I'm the reason why? 

I tried to speak once more, but somehow, I couldn't. Mrs. Scarlet saw my struggle, so she grinned wickedly. "Well more like your mother's the reason why." 

My mother? What does she have to do with this? I snapped my mouth shut and decided to listen. There's no point in trying to speak when I clearly couldn't.

"I'm gonna tell you a story Luna." She walks a bit closer. I backed away slowly until my back was against the wall. She stopped when she was right in front of me, blocking me from escape. She spoke in a low and threatening voice. "When I was your age, villains and normals weren't divided." 

I knew that. My mother uses to tell me how everything was better when she was young. When everyone was treated equally, whether you were normal or had powers.

"In fact, people like you weren't even called villains back then. You guys were called supernatural, you were treated like normal human beings. Actually, even better than the normals, you guys were looked up to." She clenched her fists, I was terrified as she looked like she was about to punch me. "Your mother, we went to the same school. The supernaturals and normals used to go to school together, no one had a problem with that." She smiles maniacally.

I glanced around for ways of escape. 

"The supernaturals, they were always the most popular ones, because of their powers." She clenched her eyes shut and seem to be thinking hard. She continues to speak. "I was a huge nerd back then, one that got bullied and teased." 

I was confused. "Aren't you a villain, a supernatural too?" I asked.

She opened her eyes and glared at me. Slowly she began to shake her head. 

I gasped. "You're, you're a normal!" I gaped at her as a sly smile crept onto her face.

She steps to the side a little, but not enough for me to escape. She continues her story. "As I was saying, I was the loser of the school. I had no friends, all I had was my hobby, I was great with technical stuff." I followed her gaze, down to the band on my wrist. "Then I met your mother, she was the queen bee of the school, beautiful and powerful, she always used her powers to help the other students."

That part I knew. Mom always told me how she was very popular back in high school. But that was before one day, the normals started to rebel against us.

"She saw a few students teasing me, so she stepped in and stood up for me." She crossed her arms. "She befriended me, and told me to stick with her from now on." Her face scrunched up in anger. 

I kept sneaking glances at the doorway, trying to find a chance to escape. 

"Then there's your father. I had a huge crush on him." She said.

I nearly choked on my own spit. What?

"He started talking to me after that. He said he was fascinated by my tech skills. I was so sure he was going to ask me to be with him." She stomped her foot in frustration. "And you know what happened?" 

I recoil and shook my head wildly. 

"Your mother casted a love spell on him, stealing him away from me." She snapped. 

I shook my head in disbelief. This woman is crazy! Did she go poisoning the villains just because of a childhood heartbreak? "My mom and dad loved each other!" I protested.

"Shut up!" She yells back. She straightens her outfit and continues. "I was so heartbroken. I started to despise the supernaturals. But then I came up with a plan. I murdered a few students at school, using the technologies I invented to make their death look like the works of supernaturals." 

I could not believe what I was hearing. Why didn't my parents ever tell me about this? And more importantly, how did they not tell me Mrs. Scarlet was the crazy chick they knew from high school?

She chuckles. "Oh and believe me, the citizens bought it. They held a rebellion against the supernaturals, calling them villains. Soon, this part of town was built, holding all of you in here." 

I gathered up my voice and managed to say. "But...my parents never told me it was you. They knew you were the principle."

She grins again, not in the friendly way. "After that, I left the town. Not looking back. Until everyone has forgotten about me. Then I returned with a new identity, Mrs. Scarlet." 

Everything is starting to fit together now. My parent told me about how a girl caused the normals to hate us. But they never said it was Mrs. Scarlet, because she changed her identity. Another reason why she seems so professional when it came to changing your names and looks. And her tech skills...

I look down at the anti-power band.

"I used my technologies to pretend I had powers, then I built this school to gather up all the villain kids, acting like a hero who's trying to protect you all. And everyone believed me." She reached behind her back. "Then I hatched a plan to kill all the students."

"So that's why you poisoned us!" I exclaimed.

"Yes." She cackled. "I had to send you to Starlight so you wouldn't interfere. And you took the bait. You believed me when I said someone at Starlight must be the criminal, when all along, they had nothing to do with it." 

My mind could not function at all. My legs felt weak.

"And now, I'm gonna continued that plan, and kill all of the students!" She threw her head back and laughed. I looked around frantically. Then she tilts her head down and burns through my eyes with her glare. "Starting with you."

And with that, she pulled out a gun from her back pocket.

________________________________________________________________________________

So, this chapter's gonna be shorter because I wanted the cliffhanger to be here.

Sorry, hope you all understand.