Chapter 33: Birthday

Denis POV
I was with Corl, Alex, Sub, Ethan, Sketch and Biff waiting for Autumn to come down the stairs. She walked down in a hoodie and her hair down and wavy. "Happy birthday!" we all shouted in sync.
She smiled a little, "Thanks."
She went for the door but Corl stopped her, "We made the birthday girl breakfast."
She groaned, "Don't call me that." Did she not like her birthday?
She sat down and stared at the food, "Oh wow. Uh... Thanks, I um... guess?"
I had a worried expression, "You ok?"
She rolled her eyes, "I'm fine," then muttered, "please don't see through my lie."
She quickly ate and headed for the door, but I stopped her, "You sure? You don't seem excited that's it's your birthday."
She shrugged, "Look, worry about Braden not me, I'm not worth your time."
She walked out the door. Alex looked confused, "Is she on her period or something?"
Biff shook his head, "Shouldn't be, not her week."
The air became thick and the tension grew, Biff sighed, "Sorry."
Corl tried to lighten up the mood, "Anyway... this means we can get a big party up and running."
Biff shook his head, "She hates her birthday, for some odd reason."
Ethan gasped, "What person doesn't like their birthday?!"
Sketch laughed, "You only like your birthday cause we get two cakes instead of one."
Ethan smiled, "I love having a twin."
Sub was silent. Alex shook him but Sub didn't do anything.
I went behind him and picked him up, "You ok there buddy?"
He squirmed, "Yes, yes, just concentrating."
Corl changed the subject back as I let go of Sub, "Could it be from pore sleep?"
Sketch shook his head, "I don't think so."
I shivered, "It's like 31 below.(C)"
Biff muttered, "She did say something about her birthday always being cold."
Autumn walked back in, "Anyone know where my keys are?"
Sub 'concentrated.' Alex shrugged along with Corl. I shook my head with Ethan and Biff. Sketch said, "I saw them in our room last night."
She smiled and kissed his cheek, "You just made my day."
She bolted up the stairs and Corl looked hurt. I sighed, "Its ok Corl."
She went down the stairs, "Um, Corl are you ok?"
He stood, "Autumn why can't you be grateful!"
Autumns expression softened, "I see what's going on, Corl, I'm really grateful you noticed me, I just despise my birthday, not you. I didn't mean to leave in a hurry, I just don't like my birthday."
Corl snickered, "You seemed to like to drive."
She laughed softly, "Corl, I would walk but it's like 30 below, just like every year. Corl, come here."
Corl shook his head so Autumn walked to him, "Take out your anger."
He drew back, "What?"
She opened her arms, "Go ahead. I don't care."
The room went still, Corl burst out laughing, "I'm not hitting a girl! Autumn what is wrong?"
She sighed, "Corl, I think it would be best if I move out."
Sketch stood up, "Wait what?! Autumn no!"
Autumn shifted uncomfortably, "I've already got a house. I'll be just a few blocks away. But I think I'm causing Corl more grief than good."
Biff stood up too, "Autumn do you hear yourself?  Corl is put together because of you."
She shoved her hands in her pockets, "Corl is the reason he is put together not me."
Sub stood, "It's not her who's talking it's Austin, isn't it?"
Autumns cheek went rosier and rosier. She managed a stutter, "I- uh- I can't i-imagine doing th-th-that."
Sub grew a concerned look, "Then who's been texting you all night?"
She swallowed hard, going wide eyed. Sub stood up, "All these walks and drives aren't to calm down, it's Austin making his next move isn't it?"
Her phone started ringing on the table, the caller ID, Austin. She went to snatch it but Alex answered it and put it on speaker.
Austin said, "Hey, so have you broke Sketch's and Corl's hearts yet? I'm starting get impatient. Autumn?!"
Biff spoke loud, "Think again."
Autumn looked angry, "I can fight my own battles."
She snatched her phone and hung up, "I am so sick of being treated this way. Why don't I go right back where I belong, the road?"
She stomped out with her keys and phone. She went outside and Ethan and Lightning bolted to stop her. I heard her truck start and drive away. Ethan and Lightning came back. Lightning scratched at the door and Ethan sighed, "Sketch."
He slammed his head on the table, "What?"
He swallowed hard, "Autumn had a knife, and was... cursing."
Alex sat back, "Sub how did you piece this all together?"
Sub shrugged, "I don't think Sketch noticed but she stayed in the kitchen at night a lot. She also is grumpy when she's being pushed around. There is no possible way she could actually think to break Corl's heart. And I'm willing to bet Austin wants her to marry her and break up with Sketch."
Biff sighed, "How did you know?"
Sub pulled a diamond ring out of his pocket, "Found this in the snow, look at the engraved message."

Sketch POV
It was 1 AM and I couldn't sleep without Autumn. Suddenly, the front door opened and closed. I heard footsteps up the stairs and the bedroom door opened. I opened my eyes to see Autumn. She pulled her hair out of the braid and crawled on top of me. Before putting her head in my chest she reached up and kissed my cheek, "Night Sketch." She whispered. I put my hands on her back and drifted off to sleep.