Chapter Seven: Critical

Alex POV
We turned the corner. Corl was no where in sight. Me and Denis walked a little further. Suddenly, Corl jumped out and swung around Denis,  Corl locked his legs on Denis' waist.
Denis looked shocked at first, but calmed down once Corl got off.
I moved Corls stuff in my arms. Denis was happy seeing Corl happy. I smiled. This was the happiest I've seen them in a long time. Corl stopped dead in his tracks and looked down. There was something shiny laying on the sidewalk, a ring.
"Biff's ring?" he muttered. I bent down and grabbed it. I held it in my hand. Denis looked at it and Corl investigated the area around where he found the gold band.
"How did he drop it, it doesn't fit." Corl thought out loud. I shrugged. "Unless, he meant to drop it." Corl whispered.
"Why would he want to drop it?" Denis asked as Corl started walking faster to the apartment. "Corl?!" I exclaimed as he started to run. Denis was walking with me. When we reached the apartment building, Corl was still shirtless waiting for us.

Corl POV
I had bolted ahead, still shirtless, and waited for them at the door. They turned the corner. I quickly sprinted to them taking my things from Alex. I put on my shirt and started going threw my phone. I walked up the stairs, followed by Denis and Alex. I opened the door. Flashbacks flooded back. Biff. Blood. Abuse. Denis waved his hand in front of my face.
"There may be glass on the floor, careful." I warned them. Denis looked at the ground when Alex winked at him. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed the broom. I started sweeping the glass.
Alex went to clean the living room and Denis started packing. Denis came up with something in his hand. Biffs pocket knife that I stole.
"Corl have you been cutting yours-" Alex asked.
I interrupted, "NO! No, I can explain."
Denis opened it. Blood. This wasn't looking well. Alex raised an eyebrow. Denis put it back to being closed.
I sighed and sat down, "I stole it from Biff. I had it hidden, but Biff found it and cut me with it. He put it on my bedside table and forgot about it." I got up, "Are we done?"
Denis put his hand on my arm, "Corl I'm glad you said something."
Alex looked around, "Looks like it." Denis smiled at me.
"Finally." I rolled my eyes.
We laughed. We packed up and went to Denis'. Sub was waiting on us.

Denis POV
Corl put the last box in his room. Sub was nodding towards Corl and Alex pointed to his mouth, then his eye, then his chest, then Corl. He mouthed, 'Say I like you.' I shook my head. Corl bit his lip and looked around his new room.
I had the bed put up and furniture around before. He suddenly pulled me in a hug and whispered, "We'll talk later." I felt my heart flutter. Soon, Alex and Sub left, leaving me and Corl alone. I became nervous. Corl was fiddling with a string. He opened his mouth to speak, but shut it.
He got up and walked his room. He came back with his glasses and a black folder labeled, 'Record.'
He threw the folder on the coffee table. His voiced crackled, "Go ahead look through it."
I opened it and he sat down beside me. He read over everything. Jan 1, accused me of stupidity. Accuser: Biff. Jan 2, bashed me with a hard cover, 1002 paged book.  Accuser: Biff. Jan 3, Sliced my neck with knife. Accuser: Biff. I kept reading over them. Two years of hurt and pain. It was currently June 25. June 24, Hit me with a beer bottle. Accuser: Biff.
I was speechless. Two years ago, today, Corl was blackmailed into dating Biff. And the first 6 months, Biff just yelled.
It was 8 PM. I closed the folder, gently. I could feel anger boil. Corl broke the silence, "Should I take Biff to court?" I thought for moment.
I opened up, "Yes. Can I ask you something, Corl?"
"Sure Din Din." Corl asked.
"Have you... Ever loved someone but knew they will never love you back?" I asked. DID I JUST SAY THAT? I thought alarmed.
He surprised me, "I do, in fact I do everyday."
"Who?" I asked.
"Can't say. But they are trustworthy, brave, and just a good listener. I feel safe around them, but somebody else likes them so I guess I should just back away." he sighed.
Alex. I thought. Corl took off his cracked glasses. He stood up and waited for nothing to walk away kicking himself. I texted Alex:

Denis: Hey!

Alex: Hi.

Denis: How could you?

Alex: What?

Denis: CORL LIKES YOU, NOT ME.

Alex: Woah, calm down. What did he tell you?

Denis: He said he liked someone that was trustworthy, brave, and just a good listen. Alex checklist: check, check, check!

Alex: Denis checklist: Check, Check, Check, Check!

Denis: Why four checks?

Alex: He likes you.

Denis: What!?

Alex: This is your shot. Take it Denis. Bye.

Denis: Alex, what are you talking about? Alex, explain yourself.

No reply. I heard sobbing. I followed it to Corls room. I knocked on the door. The crying slowed and Corl opened the door a crack, "Y- Yeah Denis?"
"Can I come in?" I asked my head spinning with questions.
He opened the door more and sat on the floor.
"Come here, Braden." I said opening my arms.
He picked himself up and dragged himself to me. He started crying on my shoulder. I rubbed his back and we stayed like that for a few minutes.
He calmed down, "Thanks."
"What's bugging you Braden?" I asked.
He took a deep breath and rolled up his sleeve.
Blood was forming below his wrist. "I pinched myself." he whimpered.
"Why?" I asked looking at it.