Chapter 16

IT WAS TWO HOURS SINCE WE LEFT THE FAIR. Hindi lang kami ang bumabyahe and unlike when we were going to the race fair venue, the group were not in a close convoy with us. They are keeping their distance in maybe a few hundred meters. Hindi ko alam kung sinasadya ba nila kaming bigyan ng distansya o ano, pero hindi ko na lang isinatinig ang nasa isip ko kanina.

I'm still hung up by what happened there and I just went along with all of them when they were deciding it was time to go home. Hindi ko alam kung ano ba dapat ang maramdaman – my mind must've been blown together with the fireworks dahil sa sobrang gaan ng pakiramdam ko'y wala nako sa huwisyo. I just nodded and agreed the entire time.

If I spoke, my emotions would burst.

I didn't know birthdays like that were legal. In my twenty-one years in this crazy spinning circle, now twenty-two, that was by far the most fascinating gift I have ever received in my entire life.

My parents didn't lack in spoiling and providing me with material things. We're not poor – in fact, we can afford most things people don't. I have been fully supported by my parents with all things financial and when it comes to my birthdays – they weren't that extravagant but it was celebrated justifiably.

But this whole thing with Primo.

Renting the whole go-kart arcade?

Fireworks?

He's not even that rich.

It may have cost him his entire savings which he earned by doing races and sponsored ads.

"Can you open the roof?" pakiusap ko kay Primo.

Sinulyapan niya ako sa rearview. "Maalikabok mamaya," aniya.

We have settled into a truce, for now.

Not until I have finalized and decided what would I do about this whole situation between us – unless he'll become the overbearing and annoying Primo again, then I can't promise any peace between both of us.

"Just until before we get into the city's main road," sagot ko. "Malamig at malinis ang hangin dito – how I wish 'di ganito ka polluted sa city natin."

"I can't give you a non-polluted city," Primo smirked. "Wish for something more realistic, Ayah."

"I'm not asking you to give me the world, Primo. You didn't have to be so nice with me. Nagdududa tuloy ako. Is this some kind of a bribe?" I eyed him. "– or maybe ganito ang technique mo kapag may lolokohin kang tao?"

He looked offended. "Hey... I just wanted to do something nice for your birthday. It was a sincere birthday gift."

Both of us talking peacefully has always been impossible.

"Look – I am very grateful for the birthday gift, it was beautiful. Hindi ko lang alam kung bakit mo ginawa 'yon? You said you like me, then act like the way you normally do when you like someone. The way you're acting is freaking me out."

"What do you mean I normally do?" he asked, confused.

"Alright, just because I haven't been around your circle in the past years doesn't mean I don't know what's going on in the campus," I raised my brows, ready to talk what's bugging me most.

"And how is that related to what I'm feeling for you?" he's looking at me like I'm saying something improbable.

"That means... I know how you treat your ladies when you're in a relationship with them. You never gave Nathasha a gift, you were with her for nine months – that was long enough to give her one."

He checked the road before glancing at me, his face is in disbelief about what he's hearing.

"Ayah... in my definition before, there's a difference between dating and liking someone."