The Governor's Daughter Meets the Devil's Son

Start from the beginning

"Even better. They look sober, unlike you." She grabbed his hand and drug him over to Cap and Jim.

Cap watched the interaction closely. He could not quite tell what they were saying but when he saw her grab his hands he could not help the heat that rose to his cheeks. He was really surprised when she came over to them and sat down. Men glared at them jealously.

"Hello. I'm Lydia Wilson. My Father is the Governor. I came to talk to your family about what's going on. Father is busy and I decided to come so I can tell him what all is going on." She explained quietly so they were not overheard.

"How do I now you're tellin' the truth? You could be a bounty hunter tryin' ta fool us. I ain't ever heard of the Governor's daughter." Cap questioned.

"I figured you'd ask that." She pulled the letter out of her tote and handed it to him. Cap recognized his own handwriting and knew she was telling the truth.
"She's real." He said to Jim.

"Bes take her to your Pap and let him decide." Jim suggested.

"Let's go. You're welcome to come unless you just wanna stay here." Cap told her.
"No I'll come." She said getting up quickly.

"Where you goin' in such a rush?" A drunk man grabbed her arm before she could get out the door.
"Away from you fools." She spat
"Don't be like that darlin'."

"Leave her be. She's with me." Cap grabbed the man's arm. The man looked into Cap's eyes and gulped. He slowly released Lydia and walked off. Cap ushered Lydia out the door and to his horse.

"You can ride with me or Jim. Don't matter to me none." Cap said while getting on his horse. Instead of answering, Lydia held her hand up to him and he helped her up.

"The Governor's Daughter. Why would he send you instead of an attorney or somethin'?" Devil Anse questioned with his pipe in his mouth. She was sitting at his table with him, his wife, Cap, Jim, and Johnse.

"Well sir I'll tell you the truth. He didn't send me." She confessed.

"What do you mean he didn't send you?"

"I noticed he was worried about something yesterday morning. I asked him what was troubling him and he showed me the letter. He said all he could do was sue Kentucky and send an attorney. But suing the State of Kentucky will be a very long process and you could all be dead before then. I just wanted to help and the best way to do that is to be here."

"You've gotta be jokin'! We send for the Governor and get his daughter. Just great. Just our luck." Jim exclaimed.
"I know you don't think I can help but I really can. I'm the Governor's daughter. I have a lot of political pull."
"Now she's braggin'." Jim muttered.

"No I'm not. Look, I'm all you got. If you don't want my help I'll leave but you can't say I didn't try." She eyed Jim Vance. She might look sweet and delicate but she is a fireball when mad.

"You can stay. You're the only woman I know beside Levicy that'll stand up to Jim and that must mean somethin'." Anse decided. Cap could not help but smirk. He might like having his own little fireball around.

"What good can you do? You don't know nothin' about fightin'." Jim argued.

"Teach me how to fight, I'll show you how to win."

"Fair enough. For now you'll stay in the room with my daughters. Levicy will show you there." Anse said.

"Thank you kindly."

"Tomorrow we want to know more about you and we'll tell you more about us." Anse told her.

"Sounds good sir."

That night Lydia tossed and turned. She thought about her parents. She thought about what might happen if she failed. She did not want to see the Hatfield's killed. They seemed like good people. But there are two sides to every story. She was scared to find out the other side. What if the Hatfield's were not as innocent as she thought? Besides all that, something else clouded her thoughts. Well, someone else actually. Cap Hatfield. She could not help but stare at his eyes. One, for there beauty. And two, she wondered what happened. Those eyes held a story. A story she did not know but was intrigued with already. "No Lydia stop this. You're here on business and don't have time for some backwoods country boy." She thought. Besides, she met him in a brothel and that is not a good sign. She is just glad she did not have to sleep in that God forsaken place . She closed her eyes and tried to push the thoughts out of her mind and get some sleep.

Cap Hatfield finally understood Johnse's struggle with Roseanna and why he could not keep it in his pants. Cap was dying to go to her. He could not do that though. Mainly because he was better than that and was nothing like his bone headed brother. Secondly, she was too much for him. She is way too high maintenance. Too flashy. She acts like a Yank in a way but you can tell she is just a Southern Bell without the accent. It was really weird. He decided he is gonna ask her about that tomorrow. He sighed and mentally punched himself and tried to sleep.

Meanwhile, Johnse laid in bed wide awake too. "She sure is a pretty thang." He thought. Johnse knew it was not love but just lust. But sometimes things come from lust. She is the Governor's daughter! Imagine what he could do with that money! He could definitely go to Oregon country. He could fake it till he made it with her. He smiled to his self and went to sleep.

A/N Will this be a love story or is it strictly business? You'll find out soon! Team Cap or Team Johnse? Caddie or Jiddy? Lap or Jydia? Please think of better ship names guys because I suck.