New Year's Eve Rally

"...and I need you ta stay here with Ma and the children. No sneakin' out the window. Got it?" Cap just explained to Lydia their plans for New Years Eve.
"No. You can't do this. Father will send troops. Cap you have to wait." The panic in Lydia's eyes was evident.
"Lyddie, I know what your Pa's gonna do but we can't wait. Any longer and we'll all be dead. When we get McCoy here I'll try to convince Pa ta keep 'im here till the troops arrive and they can take 'im."

"It's not gonna go as plan. Something's gonna happen. Please stay. Stay with me." Lydia begged.

"I can't do that. I have to stick with my family. We have ta do this."
"I know." She sighed. "Promise me you'll come back to me."
"I can't promise ya that." Cap said.
"Why not?" Tears pooled in her eyes.
"I can't promise ya that because I don't know what's gonna happen. I'll never promise ya that because if I don't come home then the last thing I said to ya was a lie. But I can promise ya that I'll do everything I can ta come home to ya." After he said this Lydia embraced him. Cap held her tightly.
"If you don't come back I'll have every McCoy killed. Understand?" She whispered.
"Yes ma'am." Cap chuckled.

For the rest of the day Lydia was shakey. Her hands trembled and her heart raced. Fear had overtaken her. She had to know for a fact that Cap and Cotton would return to her alive. She went outside to find the man that could assure her.

Jim Vance was standing guard. Luckily, he was alone. Lydia went up to him. Without looking at one another, they carried on a conversation. 
"Cap will come home alive." She said. 
"Yup." He replied.
"And Cotton."
"Yup."
"You'll get Randall."
"Yup."
"Then you'll get paid."
"Yup." With that being understood, Lydia went back inside. Jim smirked and released a small chuckle. He could get use to working with Ms. Wilson.

After that, Lydia busied herself in the kitchen. She was making Cap's favorite; fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits, and green beans. She wanted them to have a good supper before they left. Levicy tried to help but Lydia told her to worry about Anderson.

Cap walked in the house and saw Lydia slaving away in the kitchen. 
"Well, well, well, what do we got here." Cap said while leaning against the doorway.

"Supper. It'll be ready soon." 
"Hmm, let's see." Cap looked over her shoulder.
"I hope it all turned out okay."

"It looks just fine Darlin'." He assured her.
"Just fine?"

"It looks amazin' Darlin'."
"Go get the others." Lydia said with a smile. She turned around and kissed his cheek. Cap complied and fetched the others outside.

Lydia started setting the table as they piled in. 

"Smells mighty good Ma." Johnse said.

"I didn't have nothin' ta do with it. It was all Lyddie."
"Really?" Johnse questioned shocked.
"Really." Lydia said and sat his plate infront of him.

Before anyone else could fix their plate, Jim was stuffing his face.
"Well Cap, I'm movin' in with ya when ya marry 'er." He declared.
"I might let ya come eat every now and then." Cap retorted.
"When ya gonna cook my favorite?" Johnse questioned.
"Don't you have a wife to do that for you?" Lydia asked.
"Aw hell. She can't cook like this."
"And she's probably poisonin' ya." Jim half joked. Chuckles filled the room as people tried to hold in their laughter.
"She wouldn't do that. She might hate the Hatfield's but she loves me and wouldn't turn against me." Johnse denied.

"We'll see. Maybe you need ta learn ta control your wife." Cap said.
"Like the way you controlled Lydia when she snuck on McCoy land." Johnse growled. Cap balled his fist and went to fire back but Anse intervened.
"Lydia was helping and she's not his wife. He has no control over her." He said between coughs.
"And she ain't runnin' ta Frank Phillips and spillin' our secrets." Cap argued. 
"Nancy ain't doin' no such thing!"
"Nancy's doin' anything with a...." Cap started.
"That's enough. This isn't a time to be bickering with each other." Lydia stated.
"Girls right." Anse agreed.
" 'Course she is. Y'all worship the ground she walks on." Johnse mumbled while picking at his food. Cap dramatically stood up, sending his chair flying. Lydia grabbed his arm in an attempt to rein him in. If looks could kill, Johnse would be six feet under. And if it was not for the girl holding Cap, he would be jumping over the table at Johnse.
"Apologize." Cap growled.
"What?" Johnse asked.
"I said apologize ta 'er. Now."
"I ain't..." Johnse started.
"For the love of God son just do it before your brother gets a hold of ya." Anse groaned.
"Fine! I'm sorry you're so in love with my brother's dick that you can't get out of here." He spat. Cap lost it. He jerked away from Lydia and leaped for his brother. Cap tackled him down and immediately started punching him in the face. Robert E. and Jim hauled Cap off of Johnse. Fortunately for Johnse, he just has a bloody nose and some bruising.