Mr. Rockefeller

The first part of the ride was silent. Johnse paid attention to the rode ahead and Lydia was enjoying the scenery. All the trees but the evergreens were still dead from the harsh winter. There was still a few more frost to come before spring. A cold breeze made its way through. Lydia shivered and pulled her blanket tightly around her.

"I'm sorry." Johnsy suddenly said.
"It's okay."
"No it ain't. You're a good person. How in the hell Cap got ya is beyond me."
"He's a good person too." Lydia said. Johnse scoffed.
"He really is Johnse. He's good to me."
"To you."
"And his family. Everyone that does him right, he does right too."
"I reckon. I just don't have the stomach or the hate that he has."
"Well, Cap is just more protective maybe. More possessive."
"And you wanna man like that?"
"I'm not going to argue with you about my choice of lover."
"I didn't come here ta argue with ya. I came for my brother and ta get on the right foot with ya."
"I like you Johnse. Sure, you've made some bad decisions and I thought about killin' ya over Nancy but I think we could be friends."
"I think so too."

"Just a warning, my Mother will probably invite you to stay and eat."
"Maybe she'll like me more than Cap." He smirked.
"Good luck with that. I think if me and him broke, they'd choose him." She joked.
"Nah. They'd need a break from 'im at some point. When y'all get hitched, my still is always open to ya. Free of charge. Anyone that puts up with Cap deserves a strong drink."
"I'll probably take you up on that." She smiled.
"I hope you do."

"Lydia! Oh what a nice surprise!" Henrietta ran out to hug her daughter.
"I miss you." Lydia hugged back.
"I missed you too. Where's Cap?"
"He couldn't make it. This is his brother, Johnse. He volunteered to bring me." Lydia explained.
"Nice ta meet ya ma'am." Johnse introduced himself.
"You too. So polite. Y'all's Mother must have raised all her children proper." 
"She sure tried." Johnse smiled.
"Come on inside. I'll put some supper on." Henrietta urged him in.
"Well thank ya kindly ma'am."

After the three of them ate, Johnse had to head home.
"Lunch was great. I oughta head home." Johnse stood up.
"It was no problem at all. Be careful. If you need an escort I'm sure the sheriff would be glad to do it." Henrietta suggested.
"I'll be alright. Bye Ms. Henrietta. I hope you're back soon Lyddie."
"Me to Johnse. Thanks for the ride." Lydia thanked him.
"It was my pleasure." He hopped in the wagon and headed home.

"Now, let's go inside and you fill me in." Henrietta said.
"Alright Mother." Lydia smiled. She missed having conversations with her Mother. Henrietta always knew what to say to make Lydia feel better. The two of them sat down in the large living room. When Lydia saw the couch, she pictured her and Cap sitting together on Christmas Eve.
"How's Cap?" Henrietta asked as she poured them both a cup of tea.
"Honestly, I don't know." Lydia sighed.
"What do you mean?"
"Some of the Hatfield men went to go get Randall McCoy. The plan was to bring him back home till Father got there and then we could have him arrested and put on trial. Things didn't go as planned. Two people were killed, house burned down, and his wife was hit with the butt of Jim's gun. Since Cap and Jim were the leaders, Anse made them go into hiding. Only me, him, and Johnse knew where the were. Johnse was married to Nancy McCoy at the time and he told her. She told Frank Phillips. Frank and his posse went to 'arrest' them. They killed Jim. Shot Cap in the shoulder. That's why I came here. He wanted me to stay away where I'm safe. Said he'll come get me when things calm down." Lydia lied at the end.
"Oh dear, that's awful. Why didn't he come with you?"
"He can't leave his family now. They need him. Father promised me that him and John B. would watch over things. Eases my mind a little bit."

"Don't worry. It'll be over soon. I just hope we don't need a Judas goat."
"What?" Lydia asked confused.
"Your Father didn't tell you?"
"No."
"You see, if someone from the Hatfield family was hanged, then the feuding might stop. Things would be even. The idea was dismissed entirely but it's still an idea." Henrietta explained.
"No. No one will be hanged. We'll hide the whole family in this house if we have to." Lydia panicked.
"No one will hang Lydia. Go get ready for bed. You had a long ride." Henrietta held her daughters hands in comfort. Lydia nodded in agreement and went upstairs.

"Is she-" Cap started as soon as Johnse walked in the door.
"She's fine." Johnse assured him and took off his coat. Cap visibly let out a breath of relief.
"Thank you."
"You're welcome. Her Ma cooked for me so we're even." 
"Was there another fella there?" Emanuel asked.
"No." Johnse answered.
"Why?" Cap asked.
"Mr. Rockefeller was suppose ta come by. I forgot till last night." Emanuel explained.
"Like John Rockefeller? Rich man with the oil?" Lias asked.
"Yes. We were going to discuss business. Surely Lydia can handle it. She's been in our meetings before." Emanuel said.
"She's going to be alone with a single rich fella?" Cap questioned.
"For awhile." Emanuel answered. Cap groaned. There was no way he could compete with John Rockefeller!
"Somebody sounds concerned." Johnse teased.
"Shut your mouth." Cap growled. Johnse chuckled and leaned back in his chair, tipping the front legs up.

That night, Cap was sitting on the porch again. He was whittling a piece of wood. Lost in his thoughts, he was not paying attention.
"Damn." He cursed, as the sharp blade sliced his thumb.
"That things sharp son." Emanuel said from behind.
"Learned that the hard way." Cap mumbled. Emanuel took a seat beside him. 
"Mind somewhere else?" 
"I reckon." Cap sighed and closed his pocket knife.
"When ya plan on fetchin' 'er?"
"I don't know. She's better off with someone like Kane or Rockefeller."
"How ya figure that?"
"They can give 'er more. What she deserves. Everything ya see in front of ya, that's all I can give 'er."
"I see love and happiness. That's somethin' Kane and Rockefeller can't give 'er. If you're so worried about the money, go make some. You're a smart young man. If I can do it, any fella can."
"I've been talkin' ta John." Cap confessed.
"Oh?"
"I've already read a couple law books of his. I really like it. Seems natural. He said I could train under him. See if I like it 'fore I go get the schoolin'."
"I think that's a mighty fine idea son. But even if you stayed here and worked for your Pa, Willie would still love ya." Emanuel patted his back and stood up.

"Y'all are too good ta me. I ain't nothin' special. Why do ya want me with your daughter?"
"I want my daughter ta be taken care of. Not financially. She's a looker. I've already had ta set a few boys in there place. You'll protect 'er and treat 'er right. You'll make 'er happy."
"I'll try my best sir."
"I know." Emanuel patted his shoulder and went back inside. 

"Lydia! Come down here! We have company!" Henrietta called from downstairs. Lydia was in her room reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. 
"Coming Mother!" Lydia replied. She placed a bookmark in the book and set it on her night stand. Lydia was descending the stairs when a familiar voice spoke.
"Ms. Lydia, you sure have grown up." John D. Rockefeller smiled. 
"Mr. Rockefeller, I didn't expect to see you here." Lydia said shocked.
"I had a meeting set up with your Father but your Mother told me he had an emergency but you can help me."
"Me? I can try."
"I'm sure you'll do just fine darling." John gently grabbed her hand and led her to the kitchen. 

"Shall we begin?" John pulled a chair out for her.
"I guess so." Lydia blushed and started going through the documents in front of her. John noticed her blush and smirked. Lydia was a pretty young lady with valuable ties. He could use a woman like her.

A/N The picture above is from The Men Who Built America documentary. Rockefeller was played by Tim Getman. The next chapter should be longer and show more Lydia and Rockefeller. Could this be a new couple? Or does Cap or Kane still have a chance? Johnse is being awful sweet too.