Something Blue

A/N I know it seems like they're moving too fast but back then people didn't date as long as they do now. They would marry after a couple months of courting. It's honestly faster than I want it to but it'll work better for the end.

"Alright Cap you're going to have to excuse us. I have to get my daughter dressed proper for dinner." Henrietta said as she rushed her daughter upstairs. Lydia looked back at Cap and Emanuel with a pleading look.

"Poor Lyddie." Emanuel laughed.
"Ain't she use ta it?" Cap asked.
"She was. When she was little her mama had ta wrestle with 'er to get 'er in a fancy dress or curl her hair. As she got older she got use ta it I reckon. But I think goin' ta your home brought out the real her and her mama is wrestlin' with 'er again." Emanuel explained.

Cap was in his room and putting his gift to Lydia in a box. A soft knock came from his door.
"Come in." He called. Lydia slowly opened the door.

"Supper's ready." She said. Cap turned around to face her. Again he was frozen by her beauty.
"You look beautiful."
"Thank you. You don't have to tell me all the time."
"I'm just tellin' ya what I'm seein' in front of me. Get use ta it." She walked up to him.
"I'll try to." Cap looked down at her and realized he was falling more in love with her here. He thinks it is because he is not so stressed here and not worried about her getting shot constantly. He was worried about his family and he missed them but she put him at ease.

"You should be use ta it already. I'm sure boys told you all the time before."
"I never paid attention."
"Well I hope you're paying attention ta me."
"A little." She teased. 

"That's more than I could ever hope for." He leaned down and laid a gentle kiss on her lips. She kissed him back and entwined her hand with his.
"We better go 'fore your folks come lookin' for ya." Cap pulled away. Lydia nodded. 

Supper was full of laughter as the four told stories from the past. Cap learned that the family were die-hard rebels, though they would not tell him what exactly caused that. He did not push the matter any because when Emanuel talked about his love for the South he could see Lydia flinch and her eyes dimmed.  He quickly changed the subject.

"Supper is real good ma'am." 
"Thank you Cap." Henrietta replied.

"Let's get to the good part! Presents!" Emanuel annouced as everyone finished eating. Lydia and Henrietta quickly cleaned up and Cap followed Emanuel to the living room. As soon as the girls returned Emanuel grabbed a present from under the tree.

"Here son. Think you'll like it."
"But I thought the horse was my Christmas?" Cap asked confused.

"Part of it."
"Well alright." Cap said and opened the box.  A new pistol was in it. Cap grabbed it and examined it. He saw that Cap was engraved on the handle. 
"I don't know how ta thank ya sir." Cap said.
"Take good care of my daughter." Was Mr. Wilson's reply.
"I'll protect 'er with everything I got." Cap assured him.

"Lydia open the one from me and your Father." Henrietta said excitedly. Lydia took the small box from her Mother and opened it. Her eyes filled with tears.
"Grandma's necklace. Mama I thought I couldn't have it till I was married?"
"Well I talked to your Father about it and we think you're ready to have it. You're basically already moved out. My Mother gave it to me and now I'm giving it to you. Some day I want you to give it to your oldest daughter." 
"Thank you." Lydia hugged her Mom tightly. 

"Cap dear I have something for you as well but I'll give it to you later." Henrietta told him.
"Ma'am I don't need anything else."
"Oh yes you do now hush." 
"Yes ma'am." Cap smiled.
"Here Cap I got this for you. I wasn't sure what to get you but I noticed you needed a new one." Lydia handed Cap a small box.
"You didn't have ta get me anything."
"Yes I did. Open it." She said eagerly. Inside the box was a gold pocket watch and a new wallet.
"Thank you Lyddie. They're great." 
"I'm glad you like them." She smiled.
"I'm not sure if you'll like these but I hope you do." Cap said and handed her his gift.
"I already love it."
"You don't know that till you open it." He said. Lydia opened the box and smiled at the contents. 
"They're beautiful." She said. Lydia took the hair pins out of the box to show her Mother.
"Oh how pretty! And blue has always looked so good on you!" She praised. 

For the rest of the evening they stayed in the living room in silence. Mr. Wilson was reading while Mrs. Wilson was knitting. Cap was sitting on the couch while holding Lydia. 

"Thank you Cap." Lydia whispered to him.

"You're welcome. I reckon you'll be needing somethin' blue soon anyhow." He smirked.
"Good thinking Mr. Hatfield. You're always ahead of the game."

"Well, we better all go to bed. We need to be up early. Cap will you come with me for a minute." Henrietta said and stood up from her chair. Cap stood up and followed her. They ended up in her and Emanuel's room.

"How serious are you about my daughter Mr. Hatfield?" All the love in Henrietta's voice had vanished and she was very serious. No smile was spread across her face.
"Very. I love Lydia."
"Are you going to marry her?"
"One day yes ma'am. I just don't know when. I want ta make sure she really wants ta be with me." Cap was nervous about where this was going.
"Oh good!" The smiled returned to her face to Cap's relief.
"When me and Emanuel started out we had nothing.  When he proposed to me he couldn't afford much of a ring but he saved up enough to get one. When he gave me the ring he said this ring symbolizes our beginning, we'll start out small but one day we'll grow and I'll buy you the biggest ring your heart desires. Now, I'm giving you that ring to give to our daughter." Henrietta walked to her jewelry box and grabbed a small black box and gave it to Cap. Cap opened the box to reveal a ring with one small diamond in the center. 

"Are you sure?" Cap asked.
"Positive. I can see it. The way you two look at each other. I've never seen her this happy. Thank you."
"All I want is to make her happy. I hope I can do that."
"Cap, if you want to move here you can. Get away from the feuding. You could build a house on our land. It'll be yours one day anyhow."
"Thank you kindly ma'am but I can't leave my family now.....but when things calm down and Lydia wants to move back I will."
"If you'd give up your way of life for her then it's real. That's what she's doing for you."
"I know. I tried ta talk her out of it but she wouldn't have it."
"Because she loves you. Now, go to bed. Keep that ring as long as you need to. She'll be waiting no matter how long."
"Goodnight ma'am. Thank you again."

Cap had just put his night pants on when someone knocked. He quickly put the ring he kept staring at in the drawer by his bed.
"Yeah?"
"Do you want me to iron your clothes for tomorrow while I iron Fathers?" Lydia asked.
"If ya want. Doesn't make me no mind." Lydia walked in with her head down. She had never seen Cap shirtless and she was scared a blush would creep up on her face. Cap noticed of course.
"Ya know, this is somethin' else you're gonna have ta get use to Willie."
"I'll bring these back soon." Lydia grabbed the clothes he had laid out and tried to hurry out but Cap was not having it. He grabbed her arm and pulled her to him, making her drop his clothes.
"Cap look what you did! Now they're all wrinkled!" She scolded him. She made sure to just look at his face.
"You're gonna iron them anyway right?" He smirked.
"But now it'll take longer." She pouted. Cap put his hands around her waist and pressed her up against him.

"Stop being so stubborn." He said. He pulled her into a kiss and Lydia ran her hands up his back. His hand traveled to her hair and tangled in it.
"Goodnight Lyd." Cap said as he pulled away.
"Goodnight Cap." She picked up the mess of clothes in the floor. They were a mess just like she was after that kiss.

A/N the picture above is the dress she was wearing at the dinner, the hair pins Cap gave her, her Grandmother's necklace, and an iron from the 1880's.