Unwanted Company

It has been a week since the Governor's visit. Lydia was fitting in alright. She helped Levicy as much as Levicy would let her. During lunch she would take lunch to the guys at the timber site. She had found a routine. Today had been a long day. Lydia did a lot of research about the McCoys. She got access to their medical records and found out that the family has a long line of mental issues and blood pressure problems due to incest in the past (A/N I found this fact and if you want the link let me know). This could be valuable information in court. As soon as supper was over she cleaned up and went to bed.

She was woke up by someone laying beside her. She opened her eyes and saw Johnse.
"What are you doing?" She whispered, trying not to wake the girls.

"Thought you'd like some company."
"You thought wrong."
"It's a real turn on when you get feisty." He smirked and forced his mouth on hers. She tried to push him off. He ran his hand up her night gown.

"Get away from me." He pinned her down. She did not want to cause trouble but she also did not want to be raped. She screamed. She knew she woke everyone up when she heard feet pounding. Johnse was shocked and stared at her. Suddenly he was lifted off of her and thrown outside.

"Cap don't kill him." Anse said as he watched Cap beat the daylights out of Johnse.
"Are you gonna stop him?" Levicy asked Anse.
"Nope."

Levicy checked on Lydia. She had tear stains on her cheeks but was trying to wipe them off.
"I'm sorry Ms. Levicy. I didn't mean to cause trouble."
"It's not your fault." Levicy helped her stand up. Lydia heard a lot of noise outside and went to it. She saw Devil Anse on the porch watching something. She looked to see what it was and her eyes grew.
"Cap! Stop!" She ran to him and grabbed his arm. He continued to kick Johnse.

"Cap please." She begged. Cap stopped and marched to the barn. Lydia went after him.

Johnse groaned on the ground. His whole body hurt. Devil Anse walked over to him.

"What in the hell were you thinkin' boy?"
"I love her."
"No you don't. You were 'in love' with Roseanna remember? The other girl who stayed here and you snuck in with her."
"You're just actin' like this because she's the Governor's daughter."
"No, I'm actin' like this because she's a lady and deserves respect. Your brother just 'bout killed you. I would've stopped him this time but next time I won't and I won't let her either." He walked off and went back to bed, leaving Johnse on the ground.

"Cap?" Lydia walked in the barn but did not see him. She heard a loud bang and knew she would find him if she followed it. When she found him his knuckles were bleeding.

"Oh Cap. What did you do?" She grabbed his hands.

"Besides beat the tar out of my brother? I punched that post over there."
"You didn't have to do that." She mumbled. She looked at his hand so she could avoid his eyes.

"What was I s'pose ta do? Let him have his way with ya?"
"Thank you Cap."
"Don't mention it. He deserved it."
"But he's your brother. I'm sure it was hard."
"I'd do it again if it meant saving you. I don't want you ta turn out like Roseanna McCoy."

"Your family mentions her a lot. What happened?"
"One night her family left her at the election because they couldn't find her and figured she rode home with someone else. She was with Johnse. He brought her home. Pa let her stay the night with our sisters. Johnse snuck in there and had his way with her and convinced her they were gonna get married. The next mornin' he took her to the river and dropped her off. Her brothers shot 'em. When she told her Pap she was gonna marry him he kicked her out and she moved in with us. Pa said she was gonna keep her name. She left and she had his baby. The baby died and she lives with her aunt. She's a McCoy but I feel bad for her. Johnse played her. If he loved her he would've went after her." Cap explained.

"But if he went after her would he still have a family?"
"It shouldn't matter. When you love someone you'll sacrifice anything for them."
"It must be nice."
"What?" He asked.
"Being in love. The way you talk about it sounds like you know the feeling. She's a lucky girl Cap."
"I'm not with anyone Lyddie."
"I don't see why not."

"I can say the same thing about you. You're smart, beautiful, and caring. Any guy would be lucky to have you." "He didn't bring up me being the Governor's daughter." She thought. So far every guy she has talked to has just wanted to be with her because of her status. Not for her.
"Thank you Cap." Silence filled the room. She realized she was still holding his hands. She looked up and he was staring at her intently, like a lightbulb went off and he was realizing something for the first time.
"Um, we better go get you cleaned up." She dropped his hand and headed to the house.

Cap shook his head and followed her. Did he just miss his chance? Will he get another? He shook the thoughts out of his head. When he walked inside Lydia already had bandages and stuff to clean his hand out.
"Everyone is in bed." She said quietly. He nodded and sat at the table. She went to work on cleaning his hand.

"Where'd ya learn to do this?" He asked.
"I had a private tutor for everything. Including health and basic medical science." She explained. He nodded.

"All done. Goodnight Cap."

"Thank you. Night Willie."

"It's the least I could do."

Cap went to the room he shared with Johnse. He looked at his sleeping brother and thought about beating him again. He decided against it and grabbed his gun. He went to the room Lydia was in. He peeked in and she was already fast asleep. He closed the door and pulled a chair up and sat down. No one was going to touch her ever again. If they did it would be the last thing they would ever do, even if it was his brother.