Surprise

The next day Cap decided he needed to clear his head. He meant every word he said to Lydia but he did not plan on acting on his feelings this soon. But when Lydia admitted she felt at home here and when she talked about leaving it set a fire in his heart. Before everyone was awake he went to get some more supplies.

Lydia yawned and stretched as she woke up. She slowly sat up and slipped into her dress. When she left the girls room the first thing she saw made her eyes light up and a smile spread across her face.
"John!" She exclaimed and ran to him. He stood up and embraced her in a hug.
"It's good to see you too Lyddie." John said. John B. Floyd is Lydia's first cousin. He spends a lot of time at her house and works with her Father. Him and Evan were very close so John is like an older brother.
"I didn't know you were coming." She said.
"Surprise." He smiled.
"It's the best surprise." She hugged him again. She could not believe he was really here.

Cap was riding back. His horse loaded with ammo and guns.
"Picked up our ammo and our Winchester's." He told Jim.
"Good." Jim said.
"Dumb McCoy's raiding all the push boats. Didn't think to check the mail wagon." Elias chuckled.
"Yeah." Jim laughed along with him.
"Is it true? Is Governor Wilson here?" Cap asked. He heard the rumor but did not remember Lydia saying anything about him visiting.
"Next best thing beside him and Lydia. He sent his nephew John B. Floyd." Jim replied.

The three walked in and what Cap saw made his blood boil. Lydia was embracing another man. His mind did not process that this was John.
"Who are you?" He practically growled.
"Son, this is John B. Floyd, Lydia's cousin." Anse told him. Emphasizing the word cousin so Cap would calm down.
"Oh." Was all Cap said.
"John I've found a lot of information that could bring the McCoy's down in court." Lydia told him.
"So you did. Good job Lyd." John went through all her paperwork.
"We can't take them to court yet." John said.
"Why not?" Lydia asked in dismay.
"They have to be arrested first. That's the tricky part." John explained.
"I sent an official requisition to Kentucky calling for the arrest of Frank Phillips and 23 members of his posse."
"Kentucky ain't gonna do nothin'." Cap piped in.
"But if they try to invade West Virginia again Mr. McCoy's posse can be arrested here."
"Mmhmm. By who?" Anse asked.
"Ah hell! Deputize us! Give us a few cannons! We'll ride into Pikeville, end this shit right now!" Jim boomed.
"Sir, you are talkin' about startin' another Civil War."
"That's not talk John. That's what we already got. So you tell the Governor he steps in or I will. Send us troops to the border." Anse said.
"Before this gets too out of hand I think you need to come home." John turned his attention to Lydia.
"I'm not going home John." She told him.
"Even if we send troops you're not safe here." John tried to reason with her.
"Send troops and I'll be safer."
"You need to come back to your family."
"They are my family John." She said truthfully.
"They're no blood to you." John argued.
"Yes but-" she started.
"We're engaged." Cap blurted out. All eyes went to Cap. Cap did not know why he said it. He guessed it is because he was scared John would talk her into going home.
"You are?" John asked Lydia.
"Um, yes. Yes we are. So I suggest Father thinks about protecting his daughter and her family."
"I'll tell him the news and see what can be done. It was good seeing you Lyddie. And it's not to late to come home." John stood up and hugged her one last time.

"Engaged?! What are ya thinkin' boy?!" Anse yelled when John had left.
"We ain't engaged." Cap said.
"Then why did ya say that?"
"Maybe now the Governor will send troops."
"You said it yourself, she's not a pawn Cap."
"Oh that's not the only reason Anse." Jim smirked. Cap glared at his Uncle.
"You better tell me everything boy." Anse said.
"I didn't want him ta take her home." Cap admitted.
"Why the hell not?! You said ya didn't want ta tie her down during the feud." Anse reminded him.
"Yeah well I changed my mind."
"Oh really? Why's that?" Anse asked, getting madder by the minute. Cap lied to John B. and if the Governor found out all hell would break lose.
"Because I....I love 'er." Lydia looked at him in shock. She didn't think it was love yet.
"You love her. Hell I'm gonna start calling you Johnse!" Anse exclaimed.
"Pa what's wrong with lovin' a woman?! This ain't like the times Johnse said he was in love. I mean it Pa. I'm gonna marry her. We're not engaged and we won't be for some time but we will be." Cap stood up for himself.
"Does she know all this? Huh? Does Lydia even feel the same way? Have you talked to her about any of this or is this all your idea?"
"No. I haven't asked her how she feels." Cap admitted.
"Then how on God's green earth do you know you're gonna marry her?"
"Because I feel the same way." Lydia piped in. Cap was shocked. He looked at her and smiled and she returned the gesture.
"You two know me and Levicy have approved of you two all along but I had hoped it would happen at a better time. I can't believe you lied to the Governor's nephew."
"Why not Pa? I'm already kissin' on his daughter." Cap smirked.
"Yeah well kissin' better be the only thing goin' on." Anse mumbled and sat down and grabbed his pipe. He put extra tobacco in it to calm his nerves.
"I can assure you sir it is." Lydia said.
"Don't ya think ya oughta start callin' him Pap?" Jim teased.
"Jim." Cap warned.