Promise to Levicy

"Here. I grabbed this for ya." Jim Vance threw the letter on the table in front of Lydia.
"Thank you Jim." Lydia gently opened the letter. Cap was trying to discreetly crane his neck to read it. Lydia noticed and just moved the letter so they both could read it.

"My Father said they can't come for Christmas. They were volunteered to host the West Virginia Christmas party. All the West Virginia politicians are invited. But they would like me to come and if you think I need an escort they can send one or any of you are welcome." She told Devil Anse.
"If ya wanna go home I'm sure we can find ya an escort." Anse said. 

"I'll take 'er." Robert E. volunteered.
"That's awful kind of ya but I hate to take you away from your family during Christmas." Lydia said.
"I'll escort 'er Pa." Cap said while he ate.
"If that's what ya want son I don't see a problem." Anse said.

"Are you sure? Father really doesn't mind to send someone." Lydia asked Cap.

"Your Pa will send someone who don't know these hills like us and getcha killed." Cap replied.

"Thank you." 
"You can leave a couple days before Christmas. Cap I gotta have ya home before New Years. Lydia can stay as long as she wants." Anse told them. 
"Yes sir." Cap nodded.

At lunch time Lydia took lunch to the lumber site.

"Thanks Ms. Lydia. You sure can cook good." Cotton complimented as he took his share.
"Why thank you Cotton Top." She smiled at him. He grinned back. Cap came up last.

"I want to talk to you." She told him.

"Alright. Start talkin'." He grabbed his food and sat down by her.

"If you don't want to stay with me during Christmas you don't have to. You can leave just as soon as we get there."
"I ain't leavin' you like that."
"I just hate you're missing Christmas with your family so I don't miss Christmas with mine."

"That's what friends are for I reckon."
"Just know that we can leave whenever you want."
"You ain't gonna stay past New Years?" 

"Oh no. Your Pa needs you home."
"Don't mean you gotta come back that soon."
"I can't let ya ride back alone. That's what friends are for I reckon." She said. He chuckled as she used his words.
"Alright. We'll leave the 23rd so we'll be there around mid-day Christmas Eve. And we'll leave on the 28th. Sound good? Is five days long enough?"
"Sounds perfect Cap. Pack your Sunday best for the party. Father won't be too fancy, he never is. If you want something new to wear I'll get you something there."
"I'm sure I got somethin'."
"I better head back now. Be careful." She stood up to go.
"Always. Only been hurt on the job once." 

"Lydia, I need ta speak with ya." Levicy said while they were starting supper.
"Yes ma'am?"
"You and Cap being on the road alone scares the daylights out of me. You're a nice and honorable lady. And I don't think Cap would force himself on ya. But if ya both were willing and the chance came I don't think he'd turn it down. Can you promise me nothin' will happen?"
"I promise Levicy. I wanna make someone an honest wife one day."

"Good girl. You'll make any man proud." She said sincerly.
"Thank you ma'am."
"Do you have a beau at home Lydia?"
"No. I haven't had one since Andy." 
"Anse told me 'bout that. I would've shot 'em too."

"Cap told me y'all would understand."
"No suitors at home at all?" Levicy asked again.

"Not really. Senators son has been wanting to meet me but he just wants me 'cause of my Father. Nothing will come of it."
"Will he be at the party?"
"Probably so."
"I wouldn't worry none about him. If he so much as looks at ya Cap will shoot him."
"It scares me Levicy. I really care about Cap. He's already almost killed his own brother for me. I don't want him to get in trouble over me."
"All men are protective of their woman Lyddie. You should be glad to have one like Cap looking out for ya."
"I'm very grateful for Cap. I just don't want to see him hurt."
"What do you mean?"
"When a man is vulernable he's easier to hurt. It's easy for Randolph to hurt Devil Anse because all he has to do is go after you or his family. Cap cares for his family more than anything but he's not as emotional as Anse so he's not as easy of a target. But if Johnse touching me can affect Cap like that imagine what a McCoy could do."
"You're right. Cap knows that I'm sure but I don't think he cares. He told his Pa he doesn't love ya yet but he really cares for ya. He plans on courtin' you but not yet. Not while all this is goin' on." Levicy told her. At the word courting Lydia felt like she was going to be sick. She knew her and Cap were close and she admits she likes him but she never thought he would want to court her.
"Levicy why are you telling me this?"
"If that Senator boy tries to court ya remember what you have waitin' on ya. You care for Cap and he cares for you. It might not be love yet but I feel like it will be soon enough. You bring out the better in my boy. Anse might not tell ya this but I will, you're the only girl Cap has ever liked for somethin' other than what's under your dress. You're a respectable girl with a respectable name. That's what my Cap needs. You're the only girl I've ever approved of for any of my boys. We didn't think you'd like Cap much so we thought about Robert E. but you seem to like Cap."
"So....you're using me?" She asked slowly.

"Oh no honey. Please don't think that. If you and Cap don't get together we'll like ya just the same. It's just that if you two do get together I want you ta know we approve and it won't be a hassle. I just have a Mother's intuition I reckon."
"I understand ma'am. I won't tell Cap about this talk."
"Let me ask ya somethin'."
"Ok."
"Can you picture a life without him?" Lydia thought about it for awhile.
"No. I feel like he's always been there." She admitted.
"One day I'll tell ya the story of me and Anse. It reminds me a lot of you two, minus the feudin'." 

"I'd like that."