Letter to the Governor

West Virginia, 1887

"Good morning Father." Lydia Wilson ascended the stairs and greeted her Father, who so happened to be the Governor of West Virgina.

"Good mornin' Willie." He sighed. She looked over at him and noticed he was in deep concentration. He had a frown upon his usually jolly face.

"Is something wrong?" She asked and walked towards him.

"Nothing to worry about darlin'. Just a troublin' letter I got in the mail." The main difference between the two was the way they talked. Governor Wilson was no fool but you could tell where he came from by his accent. Lydia on the other hand, tried to talk proper. She did have an accent that came out every once in awhile, especially when she was mad. Lydia did not try to act proper because she thought she was better than anyone, she is very humble, but because she sees the way other politicians from the North look at her Father like he is plain white Southern trash.

"May I read it?" She asked.
"I reckon. Can't hurt none." He handed her the letter and she carefully read it.

"Governor Wilson,

I would not be asking you for such a thing if it was not necessary. I am sure you have heard of the feud between my family and the McCoy family. Three of Randall McCoy's sons killed my brother Ellison. He was repeatedly stabbed twenty-seven times and shot in the gut. While Ellison was in the doctor's care, we held the boys in my barn. When Ellison died they were guilty of murder and killed by a firing squad. Now Randall McCoy has a bounty on me, my family, and several family friends. Some were not even involved. We have lost some dear friends and do not want to lose more. We desperately need your help Governor.

Your Friend, Devil Anse Hatfield"

"Father if the three boys were found guilty then the McCoys have no right to do this." Lydia gasped in shock. It did not make any sense. The boys were murderers.

"Well the problem is they didn't take it to court. The Hatfield's served justice themselves. The only thing saving them is Ellison was killed on West Virginia soil so it overrules Kentucky law. Legally the bounty hunters can't arrest them because Kentucky can't legally hold anything against them since West Virginia ain't taking action. The only thing I can do is sue Kentucky. I ain't got the time to go to the Hatfields so I'll send an attorney in my place."

"There has to be more you can do. These poor people are being hunted like animals."

"I'm trying Willie."
"I know." She sighed.

Later that night Lydia snuck downstairs and grabbed the letter from Devil Anse off the table. She could not help but read it over and over. Whoever wrote the letter is very talented. The letters seemed to dance. One could tell Devil Anse did not write it because his signature was different than the rest. The words were not very carbonated but she could tell the writer was still very smart. She stuffed the letter in the tote she brought down with her. Inside the tote was a few changes of clothes, money, and a picture of her family. She grabbed a piece of paper and quill and began writing.

"Father,

I know you are busy and do not have time so I am going to help them. You know I know my fair share of law and I truly believe I can help them. I will be back. Do not send for me. I will write you when I get there. This is something I need to do. I am all grown up now Daddy.
Love,
Lyddie Jean."

A/N Hello everyone! I hope you all enjoy my latest story! I just want to say this is based on the miniseries but I am trying to make it factual. If you notice I got a date or something wrong please do not hesistate to let me know. Let me know what you think of Lydia and what you think will happen!

@Skipology