Flashbacks are a bitch

"Dear Father,
         I'm sure you've heard of my engagement. I want to share with you how that wonderful night went. Dinner was pleasant. Small talk was made and nothing uncomfortable happened. After dinner however, Kane followed me to the kitchen, insisting we talk. He told me about The Battle of Grapevine. I'm very sorry to hear about young Billy's death. I hope and pray you can get Cotton Top and Cap out of jail soon. If you can't, Kane has close ties with Perry Cline. Since I'm marrying Kane, he will tell Mr. Cline to let them out unharmed and alive. Mother is taking the news well. She has been cleaning ever since to make sure the house is spotless with the numerous guest soon to come. Send my love to the Hatfield family. 

                                                                                                                                              Your daughter,
                                                                                                                                               Willie

P.S. Not only would I kill for you, I'd marry for you."

Emanuel crumpled up the letter and threw it in anger.

"So it's true then." Devil Anse said.
"No! Henrietta only cleans like that when she's mad or upset." Emanuel stated.
"I know Lyddie enough to understand this. Kane is working with Cline. He lied to Lyddie. She thinks Cap will hang if she doesn't marry Kane." John read the letter to himself and deciphered it.
"What about the bottom part? I'd marry for you too?" Levicy questioned.
"That's probably meant for Cap." Devil Anse spoke up.
"Where is the boy anyway?" Emanuel asked.
"Said he was going to visit Johnse's still. He's probably drunker than a skunk." Anse said.
"I'll go fetch 'em." John volunteered.

"Fuck love. Who needs it anyway? I don't need some broad. I got whiskey." Cap slurred as he threw another empty bottle into the woods.
"You only have whiskey when you have money. You ain't drinkin' up all my profits." Johnse grabbed the bottle Cap was reaching for.
"Hey! I wanted that!" Cap whined.
"You know, I thought you were a better man than this."
"What do you mean?"
"Drinkin' your problems away. Runnin' away from your problems. I thought  you were better than that. Not scared of nothin'. I might be older but I looked up to you. Now you're just a drunk bum." Johnse confessed.
"Fine. I'll pay you if you stop whinin'."
"What's the matter with you?"
"She broke my heart! I loved her Johnse! I loved her with everything I got! I gave her everything I could but she still left me! I still love her Johnse." Cap broke down into tears at the end. Johnse passed Cap the bottle. Cap took it gratefully.

"Go get 'er." Johnse suddenly said.
"What?"
"You heard me. Go. Get. 'Er." Johnse said slowly.
"I can't just waltz up in there."
"No, don't waltz in there. That'd just be weird. Maybe a speed walk type thing would work."
"Smartass."
"Cap?" A voice called out.
"Johnse, I think this bottle is talkin' to me." Cap stared at the bottle astonished.
"No, you drunk bastard. It's John." Johnse jerked the half empty bottle out of his hands. 
"John? Like Johnse without the se part?" Cap questioned.
"Shut up. We're in here John!" Johnse shouted. John made his way inside to find Cap sprawled out on the ground.
"Well Cap, you sure are a sight." John chuckled. Cap grunted in response.
"My cousin wrote a letter." John continued.
"Who cares? She's just braggin' 'bout her new beau." Cap turned over so his face was in the dirt.
"Just read it." Johnse said. John read the letter outloud and slowly so Cap could somewhat understand it. 

"I'm guessin' that has another meanin'?" Johnse questioned. 
"Of course. Kane told her that Cap was in jail. Cline and Kane are working together. Lyddie is convinced if she doesn't marry Kane then Cap and Cotton will hang." John explained.
"Ya hear that Cap! She's doin' this for you!  You have ta go get 'er!"
"No! She made her choice." Cap argued.
"Cap, she thinks you'll hang." John tried to make him understand.
"I don't give a damn what she thinks. She should know I'd rather hang than have her marry someone else."
"And she'd rather give up her happiness and her whole life than see you hang. You don't deserve her." John growled and threw the letter at Cap and then left.

Cap could not help himself. He picked the letter up off the ground and read it to himself.
P.S. Not only would I kill for you, I'd marry for you.  Those words struck Cap. He knew they were meant for him. Flashbacks of that night played in his head.  

  "I understand why you shot her but why Andy?" Cap asked.
"He was cheating on me. We were engaged. That's why I was staying with Evan for the summer, to see Andy."
"I'm sorry Lyddie. I don't blame ya for what ya did. But I promise you won't have to kill no more. I'll kill for ya."
"That's what scares me Cap. After Andy I gave up on love. Decided I'm better off on my own. But I'd kill for you too Cap." She admitted.
"That makes me feel better. I got a trained killer on my side. And apparently she's good at hiding bodies too." He smirked.
"Shut up." She smiled.  

Cap groaned and stumbled to his horse. He could not get her smile out of his head. He had to see it one more time.
"What's gotten inta you?" Johnse asked.
"Flashbacks are a bitch." Cap mumbled. Johnse let out a howl of a laugh and cleaned up the mess Cap left behind.

"Glad ta see you came ta your senses." Devil Anse said as Cap stumbled through the house and packed for a journey to see Lydia.
"You can't leave now. You're too drunk to make it. Leave in the morning." Levicy advised.
"I gotta see 'er now Ma." Cap persisted.
"I'll take him." John offered.

"I can go on my own." Cap argued.
"I know you can but I'm coming too. Just to keep you company and all." John grabbed his briefcase.
"Fine. Come on, we'll take my wagon." Cap gave in. John smirked and followed Cap out the door.
"Don't worry Mrs. Hatfield, he's safe with me."

As Cap traveled down the beaten path to Charleston, he could not get Lydia off his mind. He prayed that Kane prick would not be there when he arrived. He knew he would not be able to control himself. There was no turning back now. He was on his way to get his future back.