New Years Massacre

Lydia patched Cap's jean. Well, she attempted to anyway. Her hands were too shakey. 
"Dammit." She sobbed as she pricked her finger again.
"Come on child, there's more blood on those pants than in your finger and that stitchin' is so crooked it'll have ta be torn out." Levicy took the needle from her and grabbed her hands in comfort.
"How did you stay sane while Anse was in the army?" Lydia asked.
"I had Sarah Sally and Johnse. They kept me goin'. If I wouldn'ta had them I'd gone crazy."

"Then there's no hope for me. I'm gonna lose it."

"Cap will be okay. Out of all the men there, he is most likely ta come home unharmed. You got yourself a tough man Lyddie."

"And a stubborn one." She smiled.
"Very stubborn. Always has been. Must get it from his Father."

"I don't know Levicy, you're quite the woman."

"When Cap comes home he's gonna wanna see his strong woman waiting for him. Let's get you cleaned up and we'll make some biscuits for 'em." 

The Hatfield men rode through the Tug River. Their hearts were racing. Thoughts ran wild. They would be at the McCoy residents soon and they all had mix feelings about it. Some were full of fear while the others were anxious. This had to be done to protect the family. Too much blood had been spilled and it had to end tonight. 

They crept to the house, trying not to make too much noise. Scared their hearts would give them away as it pounded in their chests. 
"May hell be my heaven, I will kill any man who goes back on me. This powder will burn. Alright as planned, go on now. Go on." At Jim's words the men scattered. Jim made sure that Cotton was in the back so he was out of the way. He was not in the mood to get chewed out by Lydia if the boy came home harmed.

"Pa said just Randall. We take him back over the Tug to West Virgina." Johnse reminded his Uncle.
"You think Randall McCoy's gonna let himself get took live?" Jim spat at his nephew.
"We gotta try." Johnse pleaded.
"Randall McCoy! Your final day has dawned! Save your family. Surrender yourself. You hear me? Your final day has dawned." Jim boomed with a smile on his face.

"Jim. Jim. We got all sides covered now. Every door, winda, and rat hole. Ain't nobody gonna get out without us seein' 'em." Cap assured him.
"Who's got the back?"
"Cotton Top." Jim sighed at Cap's reply.
"I said keep him out of the way." Jim tried not to give away his plan with Lydia.
"Johnse's with 'em. Alright I'll go check him out." Cap ran off.

"We got your whole farm surrounded, McCoy. Might as well come on out. Do it now and we spare your family." Jim urged. 

Meanwhile, Cotton was sitting in the back, whistling a tune and twiddling with his hat. Cap ran up to him and covered his mouth harshly.
"Shh! Shh!"
"Sorry." Cotton rubbed his jaw. "I got this tune stuck in my head."
"Where's Johns?" Cap asked, ignoring Cotton's previous statement.
"He said ta watch the back is all I know. Don't let no one out."
"Watch the back." Cap shoved the rifle in Cotton's hands then ran off.

"Randall McCoy, come on out and face the day...or else I have ta burn your house down. You want your little ones consumed in fire? Their wee bodies a-hissin' and a-steamin'? Randall!" Jim teased. Lias sighed at his Uncles overdramatic actions. 

Cotton was picking at his jacket out of boredom. He really did not understand why he had to come. He knew his family had to do this but all they do is yell at him for messing up. So why can he not just stay home with Ms. Lydia and Levicy? Suddenly, chickens clucked and leaves on the ground rattled.
"Cottton Top, what's that?!" Cap raised his rifle. Cotton saw Randall McCoy making a run for it. He readied his gun and fired, the blast knocking him to the ground. Johnse stood and shot, missing purposely. At the sound of gunfire, the men out front started shooting too.
"Hold your fire! Hold on! Goddammit, I ain't gave the order yet! Hold on! I said, hold your fire!" Jim boomed.