Talking with the Devil

The next morning was just like any other morning. Lydia helped Levicy and the girls make breakfast. She was tasked with the biscuits. The only thing different is she felt eyes on her. Everytime she would look she never saw anyone. She shrugged it off and continued with her baking. 

"Alright, y'all come get it." Levicy announced to her family. Men and children poured into the kitchen.  Lydia helped carry food to the table. Once everything was set, she took her usual seat by Cap and across from Johnse. 
"Biscuits look good." Cap complimented her quietly.
"Thank you."

Throughout breakfast Cap kept catching Johnse glance up at Lyddie. He did not know why but it infuriated him. He kicked Johnse in the shins and kept eating like nothing happened.
"Hell Cap, what was that for?" Johnse groaned.
"It slipped." 

"How's your McCoy bride?" Jim asked Johnse.
"She's still visiting family or somethin'. She'll be back in a week and then I'll go back home." Johnse replied.
"Good. I'm ready ta have my bed back ta myself." Cap said.
"I didn't know you were married." Lydia piped in.
"He sure is." Cap retorted.
"I think I'm gonna divorce 'er." Johnse said.
"Shocker." Robert E. muttered. Lydia could not help but laugh. She did not know Robert E. very well but he seemed to be quite the character and was only a year younger than her. A smile crept on Devil Anse, Levicy, and Cap's face. Laughter was a rare occasion now a days for them and now the house was full of it. 

Lydia had some free time and decided to go in the barn to visit the horses. She was petting a beautiful buckskin when she heard footsteps. She turned around to see Johnse standing there. She swallowed what little fear she had and went back to the horse.

"Lyddie." Johnse took a few steps towards her.
"Hello Johnse"
"Uncle Jim told me." Dread set in her. She had a feeling what he was talking about but she wanted to be sure. 
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"Jim happened to be around last night when you were with Cap. We know you're a murderer." Murderer. The word sent chills up her spine. 

"Johnse you must have heard wrong-"
"Are you calling my Uncle Jim a liar?"
"No. I'm just saying you don't know the whole story so don't accuse me of murder."
"Here's what me and Jim decided. I'm gonna divorce Nancy and marry you. You have your Governor Daddy ta send an army down here ta protect your new family." Johnse explained.
"I would never marry you Johnse Hatfield."
"You want to protect us right? Help us out. That's why ya came. What better way ta do that? Cap will be safer this way." He smirked.

"No. I'll do this my way or I'll go home." She stood her ground.
"We'll see what my Pa thinks about that. I'll give ya time to change your mind." He walked out. Lydia stood there dumbstruck. She did not want to leave. And she was scared if this news got out that she would be hung. The only thing she knew to do was find Cap.

Cap was at the timber site so talking with him would have to wait. She needed to keep herself busy till then or she would go insane. 

"Levicy, is there anything I can do?" She asked.
"Can you stitch?"
"Yes ma'am."
"You can stitch up that pair of jeans. I swear Cap tears a hole in his jeans everyday." She shook her head as she spoke about her son. Lydia gladly grabbed the jeans and the supplies needed to patch up the jeans. She sat on the porch and went to work.

Turns out Cap had several jeans that needed to be patched. Lydia spent all afternoon patching them. Before she realized it, it was nearly dark and the men were returning home.
"Well look at you." Cap tormented her.
"We need to talk." She muttered.
"Come help me put up my horse." She put down the jeans and followed him.

"What's wrong?" He asked concerned. Lydia did not know what came over her but she hugged him and tears spilled down her face. Cap was not the comforting type and was not sure what to do. He instinctly wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly.
"Lyddie what happened?" He asked again.

"Jim heard. He knows Cap. Johnse told me. They have a plan."
"What kind a plan?" His blood was starting to boil.

"Johnse is going to divorce Nancy and marry me and have my Daddy send the West Virginia army. He said it's the only way I can keep you safe." Johnse using him against her just angered him more.
"Don't ya let 'em use ya as a pawn, ya hear? Don't worry your pretty little head about this okay. I'll take care of it." Cap assured her. All he could think about was beating the snot out of his eldest brother and uncle.

"Cap don't say anything but when the time comes please don't let them make me marry him."
"Johnse ain't gettin' his hands on you."
"Cap, he's gonna tell your Pa."

"We're gonna tell him first. If he hears it from you he won't be upset but if he hears it from someone else he will be."
"Alright if that's what you think."
"Don't worry. I'll kill for you remember?"
"I remember." She blushed.

Anse was sitting in his rocking chair on the porch with his pipe.
"Mr. Hatfield, I need to speak with you if you have the time." Lydia approached him. Cap offered to come with her but she felt like she needed to do this on her own.
"Alright go ahead."
"Remember when I said my brother was hung?"
"Mmhmm."
"Well sir, the reason Evan was hung is because he was accused of murder. He moved down to Georgia with his new bride. I went down to stay with him one summer. During that time he had a job. Every month he was gone for two weeks. One time when he was gone Emily, his wife, went and stayed with another man. That made me real mad. I was engaged to Evan's best friend Andy. I found out that they were together too. So that made me even more mad. When Evan got home he met Andy at the bar and Andy told him what was going on. Later that night Evan went to kill Andy but when he got there Andy was already dead. Sir I-I killed Andy and Emily. While this was happening I was hiding Emily's body so they assumed Evan did it and hung him before I could say different. Emily was never found." Lydia explained as calmly as she could. Like his son, Devil Anse was shocked. He could not imagine Lydia even holding a gun. She was too proper.
"Well...... I'll be sure ta tell Cap ta never cheat on ya." Lydia blushed a deep red.
"I understand if you want me to go home."
"Nonsense. I'd kill for my family. I have killed for my family. I was in the army. I've killed my fair share. You had your reasons. I probably would've killed 'em too."
"Thank you Mr. Hatfield." She smiled widely.
"It's just Anse remember."
"Sorry Anse."
"It's alright. And don't let my brother or eldest son get to ya. I've heard their hair brain idea. Cap's right, you're not a pawn in this and you do what you choose. When you're ready to leave then you just go. No questions asked."
"I appreciate you Anse."
"I promised your Pa I'd treat ya like my own."

Cap was waiting for her by the fire anxiously. Everyone else had gone to bed. Lydia walked in with Devil Anse behind her. It took all Cap had not to jump up and go to her.
"Don't fret boy, she's stayin'." Anse told him.
"Thank ya Pa." Cap said without realizing.
"Go on to bed girl. Stay here a little while Cap. I need ta talk to ya." Anse instructed. Lydia lowered her head respectfully. When she passed Cap she smiled at him and went on to bed.

"What is it Pa?" Cap asked.
"Do ya love 'er?" He asked bluntly.
"I don't know. I don't think so. It's too early for that. I just really care about 'er. I've grown protective of 'er and I don't know why."
"Good. You're not an idiot like your brother. I love your brother and all but he sure doesn't know about love. Don't jump the ball Cap. Court her. Respect her. See what happens. Ya gotta learn ta like her before ya can love 'er. Understand what I'm sayin' son? Take things slow. It'll work out better that way." Anse explained.
"Yeah Pa I understand. Don't worry, I'm not even gonna court 'er yet. I don't wanna tie her down here."
"Good idea. Go on ta bed now. We got a lot of work ta be done tomorra."
"Night Pa."

Cap went to his room and found Johnse already in bed. He wanted to say something to him. Tell him he was not going to marry her or blackmail her. He really wanted to beat him senseless but he decided it could wait till tomorrow. He laid in bed and tried to go to sleep.

A/N Anse is letting her stay! Will word get out and she is hung? Will Jim and Johnse find a way to go through with there plan?