The Governor's Daughter Meets the Devil's Son

"What was I thinking?!" Lydia thought. She made it to Logan County but now she did not know how to find them. "Sure thought that one through didn't ya Lyddie?" She continued to mentally scold herself. The only thing she could think of was to ask people who they were and tell them she was new to town. She did not want to directly ask for the Hatfields because she did not want to ask the wrong person, like a McCoy. She figured the Hatfields would not be around town due to the circumstances. She sighed and decided to go find a room for the night and continue her search.

"I'm sorry ma'am but we don't have any rooms available. All booked with bounty hunters. I might suggest the brothel. I know a lady like you won't like it but it'll do for the night." The clerk told her.

"The brothel?"
"Yes. You know were they-"
"Yes I know what it is but they actually sell rooms?"

"Well miss it's more of a saloon. They do rent out rooms. We just call it the brothel because that's mainly what goes on."
"Oh. Well thank you sir."

"My pleasure ma'am."

Lydia had never been in a saloon. She took a deep breath and walked in. Instantly all eyes were on her. She was very overdressed. Girls eyed her in envy and men eyed her with lust. Lydia ignored them all and went straight to the bartender.
"You're hired." He said as soon as she reached him.
"Hired? Oh no sir! I just need a room for the night."

"Oh. Shame. Two bits a night." He said disappointed. She dug in her tote and handed him the money and he handed her the key.
"Third one on the right." He told her.
"Thank you." She said quickly and went straight to her room.

She shut her door and locked it. She did not want any unwanted visitors in the middle of the night. She sat on the bed and tried to make a game plan. The only thing she could think of was to go downstairs tonight and try to get some information. First she wanted to clean up. It was a long trip and she desperately needed a bath.

Cap Hatfield and his Uncle Jim Vance headed for the saloon. It was a very risky move but they needed a drink and a little fun. They sat down in their usual spot. It was in the perfect position. They could see who was coming in and who was leaving. They could also see what all was going on around them.

"Cap, you see that new thang they got workin'?" Jim Vance asked his favorite nephew. Cap followed his Uncle's eyes and saw a women who really looked out of place. She looked like she was going to a ball or something. And she was not like the other girls. She looked disgusted by the men throwing themselves at her. Cap could not help but stare. She looked to stand about 5'6". Her greens were mesmerizing and he could not take his blue one off of them. Her light brown hair had very little wave to it and reached to the middle of her back. You could tell she was not from around here because of the way she dressed and the way she was built. Women here were either real scrawny due to starvation or a hard life working or real plump for the opposite reason. She was in between. Perfectly curved. Cap's eyes traced her body.

"Look alive son and stop your droolin'." Jim Vance snapped Cap out of it. Cap grabbed the bottle of whiskey on the table and took a swig. About that time Cap's older brother Johnse waltzed in. His eyes instantly fell on the new girl and he smirked.
"Sit your ass down Johnse. She don't want nothin' to do with the likes of you." Cap practically growled.

"I'll find that out on my own." Johnse slurred. "Great, he's already drunk." Cap thought.

"Hello there. I'm Johnse Hatfield. Haven't seen you around here before." Johnse walked right up to Lydia.

"Hatfield? As in Devil Anse Hatfield?" She tried to contain her excitement.

"That's my Pap."
"Oh that's great. Is it just you here?"
"My brother and Uncle are over there?" He pointed towards Cap and Jim.