What Scares Me the Most

A/N This starts the beginning of episode 3.

The next couple days were anything but easy. Devil Anse was down with pleurisy again. Cap had to step up and fill his Father's shoes around the farm. Livestock needed tending to and someone had to keep everyone in line. That reponsibility was given to Cap. Lydia was also very busy. Levicy was running herself ragged trying to tend to chores, children, and Anse. Lydia knew she was exhausted so she stepped up. She was now doing the chores and watching over the children. She was no Levicy but she was doing very well. The only problem was she did not get to spend much time with Cap. She understood of course. He had to take care of his family. They all looked up to him. 

Lydia flinched when she heard Devil Anse start a coughing fit. She was scared. If something happened to him there is no telling what would happen. She had a feeling it would involve more bloodshed. That is not all that scared her. She knew Cap would be the next leader in the family. That was too much for him right now. He needed more time to live his own life.

While Lydia was folding laundry, Jim Vance stormed in.
"Morning." She greeted him. He simply side-stepped her like she was not there.
"He's poorly," Levicy told him while wiping her brow, "Got pleurisy." Jim nodded and went to see his nephew.
"Ain't you a sorry sight." Jim started. Lydia was trying to easedrop. A pair of arms wrapped around her waist. She slightly jumped and gasped.

"Easy now Darlin'. It's just me." Cap chuckled.
"You scared me." Lydia said.
"I know. Come on. Let's get ya outta the house." 
"I can't, I have too much to do." 
"And it'll all be here when ya get back."
"Well alright. But just for a little while."
"Whatever ya say Darlin'." He grabbed her hand and led her outisde.

Two horses were saddled.
"You're actually gonna let me ride by myself?" Cap always made her ride with him just incase they had to make a run for it.
"I don't know. Are ya gonna ride away from me?" He joked.
"Eh. I guess I'll stick around for a little bit." She teased.

"Longer than I thought ya would." He helped her on the horse then mounted his own. He flicked the reins and steered his horse in the right direction.

"Have you named here yet?" She asked.
"Named what?"

 "Your horse."
"Oh. No. Still thinkin' on it." He admitted.
"Where are we going?"
"Why do ya ask so many questions?"
"I'm nosy."
"Which is why ya were easedroppin' on Uncle Jim and Pa."
"No one tells me anything."
"I'm just tryin' ta protect ya Lyddie."
"Cap, I don't need you to shelter me."
"If I'd been with ya that night no one would've laid a hand on ya."

"Quit blaming yourself. That was all my fault. There's nothing you could've done."
"I wasn't there for ya like I said I would be."
"Cap I snuck out. I didn't want you to come with me. It wasn't safe for you."
"Oh, but it was for you?"

"I know I hurt you. I'm sorry. It won't happen again." She sighed.
"You didn't hurt me Lyd. You scared me. When I woke up and you were gone I thought you had come to ya senses and left me. Then I was scared you wouldn't make it home safe."
"I'm not leaving you William. I love you too much."
"I love ya too Ms. Lyddie."

Cap stopped his horse in front of a small creek.
"It's pretty out here." Lydia looked around after she dismounted her horse.
"Thought you'd like it." Cap tied up the horses. Lydia sat down and leaned against a tree. 
"First time we've been alone in awhile." Cap said as he sat by her.
"It's nice." She smiled.
"Can I ask ya somethin'?" 
"Sure Cap."
"Remember when your Pa was talkin' 'bout how he was a Rebel?"
"Yes." Her shoulders tensed.
"What happened Lyd? You flinched then and now you're all tensed."

"My Father was a big supporter of the Confederacy, still is. We owned some slaves. We weren't mean to them. They were treated better than most. Father would never seperate families. They ate what we ate. And their living quarters were kept clean and warm. Anyway, Father was at a meeting of some kind. That's when the Yanks came. Before they came I supported the South but not cruelty to slaves. They asked where my Father was. I knew they would capture him or worse. I told them I didn't know. I guess they didn't like that answer. They drug me to my front yard and beat me like I was cattle. Said they were beating me like my Daddy beat his slaves. My Daddy never beat anyone. They beat me till Father got home. They didn't want to kill or capture him. They just wanted his money. He gave them all the money he had in the house to get them to stop. The worst part was they made Mama watch. Ever since then, I've hated the North and everything they stand for. I'll never forget it. I can't. They made sure of that. These scars will never go away." 

The two sat in silence for awhile. Cap was at a loss for words. How could anybody hurt someone like her? If he ever finds out who those men were he will kill them all. No questions asked.
"Lydia I'm sorry. I shouldn'ta asked."
"It's okay. I'll tell you anything Cap."
"I promise no one will ever lay a hand on ya again and if they do, they'll pay. Just like McCoy's gonna do."
"Don't do anything stupid on account of me." Lydia pleaded.
"Darlin' I'll do anything for ya and I don't care 'bout the consequences."
"I know. That's what scares me the most."

A/N Enjoy this romantic and happy stuff while it last......