Home ain't Home Anymore

A/N In real life Johnse and Nancy we're married in 1881 so that's why I'm not talking about their marriage

"Levicy! Hope you gotta fine supper cookin'! Your boy deserves it!" Jim Vance boomed as he walked in the door.
"What are you goin' on about now?" Levicy asked.
"This boy," he patted Cap's shoulder, "saved his Pappy!" Levicy looked at Anse for answers.
"Parris McCoy and his brother snuck up on us at the timber site." Anse explained.
"Ole Parris tried to get Anse. Even had one of them new telescope thangs. Luckily he missed. But Cap didn't need no telescope to get 'em. No sirry! Cap got Parris and saved his Pap! I'm proud of you son." Jim beamed at Cap. Lydia could not help but smile at the two but fear grew in her gut. What if Parris had not of missed. Devil Anse would be dead now. She needed to get this finished once and all.

Cap caught Lydia staring at him with a smile on her face. He returned the smile and walked over to her, not caring others were around.
"Nice shooting Cap." She complimented.
"Thanks. I try." He smirked. Suddenly, Lydia's smile faded as her thoughts wandered.
"What's wrong?" He asked.
"What if Parris hadn't missed? What if he had come for you?" She mumbled.
"You can't think about the what ifs. Parris missed and I'm still here. There's nothin' else to it." He assured her.
"I know. I just worry is all." She sighed.
"I know. You worry too much."
"Someone has to."
"I'm glad I have you ta worry for me. I ain't got time for it." He grinned.
"I worry enough for the lot of ya."
"Good. I knew we kept ya around for somethin'." He joked.
"Gotta earn my keep some how."
"You've more than earned your keep Lyddie."
"When you two are done we need to discuss some things." Anse said Lydia blushed and walked away from Cap.

"We need ta take to the hills. We've had too many close calls. I ain't riskin' it no more." Anse declared.
"Agreed. The sooner the better." Jim said.
"Levicy, we need ta pack tonight. Boys, I'm gonna need your help gettin' all the livestock and supplies rounded up. We'll start as soon as supper is done." Anse told them all. Everyone nodded or said yes sir.

After supper all the girls started packing clothes, medical supplies, blankets, bedding, cooking supplies, and everything else they might need. Unfortunately a lot of personal items had to be left behind for they could only make one trip. Lydia volunteered to leave behind some of her items as well but Cap insisted she bring everything so no one would expect her here and Anse agreed. Levicy grabbed a few pictures but had to make the house appear like it was still lived in. A bonus to this was not having to clean up from supper.

Everything was being loaded onto wagons now.
"I'm sorry." Cap snuck up on her.
"For what?"
"You shouldn't be having ta deal with all this. You should be back home now."
"Cap I wouldn't have it any other way. Speaking of home, I don't think we can go to my parent's for Christmas. It'll be too dangerous."
"You're going. I'll see to it. Don't worry 'bout the danger."
"I will not have you killed because of me."
"I can't think of a better way ta go." He said and loaded her trunk for her and walked off. Lydia shook her head at his stubbornness and climbed in the wagon. She was sitting next to Cotton.

"Hey Cotton." She smiled warmly at him.
"Hi Ms. Lydia."
"You don't have to call me Ms." She told him.
"My Pa told me ta always call pretty girls Ms."
"Well if you're Pa told you to then go ahead. He sounds like a very smart man."
"He sure was. I miss him an awful lot."
"I know Cot. But he's watching over you. You got the best guardian angel anyone could ask for." She assured him.
"Since we was too busy ta go fishin' the other day Uncle Anse said we could tomorrow." Cotton suddenly said.
"That sounds great. I can't wait."
"Me either. I love fishin', especially with Cap."
"You and Cap are good friends it seems."
"Oh yes. He's my best friend. Sometimes my only friend. He don't call me mush head like everyone else."
"He's a good friend. And you're not a mush head. I think you're very smart."
"Really?"
"Really. You might have a different way of thinking but that's good. If everybody thought the same then the world would be boring."
"I like ya Ms. Lydia. Will you be my friend?"
"Of course Cotton. I'd be honored to be your friend." Cotton grinned at her answer.

As they started for their new temporary home Cap rode beside Lydia's wagon. His goal was to stay between her and possible danger. Ever since Lydia told him about her worries it got him to worrying to. What if a stray bullet came? If someone was aiming for one of them and missed and she happened to be in the way? He didn't know if it was best for him to stay away from her or be by her. If he was away and someone was aiming for him there was no chance of it hitting her. But if he was near her he felt like she was better protected. He decided to stay by her for this trip and think about it later.

Lydia unpacked her trunk and made up her pallet in the make-shift house the Hatfield men put together. The other girls came in with their brother behind them.
"Get settled in?" Cap asked her.
"Yeah. As settled as I can get."
"You'll be home soon."
"Cap I don't think you understand."
"Understand what?"
"Home ain't home anymore."
"What do you mean?"
"When I go home I'm scared I won't feel like I'm home. I've felt more at home the past few weeks than I ever have."
"You mean that?" He asked.
"I haven't lied to you yet."
"Girls, will you give us a minute." Cap told his sisters. They grumbled and walked out.
"What are you sayin'?" He asked her.
"I told you, I feel at home here."
"You're comin' back after Christmas. No big deal."
"But what about after? After this feud is over with? It may be years or it may just be weeks. Then I'll have to go home. And I miss home I really do. I miss my family but I feel like I'd miss being here more."
"Then don't."
"Don't what?"
"Don't miss it here. Stay here." He told her.
"I can't do that."
"Why not? You said yourself you might stay awhile."
"Awhile Cap. Not forever."
"What if you had the chance to stay forever? Would you take it?"
"You told me not to think about the what ifs."
"You really need ta stop listenin' to me and takin' my words ta heart." He said. She laughed at him.
"What if there was a way you could stay? Would you?" He asked again. She sat down on one of the girl's beds and sighed.
"I think so." She replied somewhat hesitantly. He sat down beside her.
"What if instead of staying for business you stayed for love?"
"I'd rather stay for love anyway."
"Then stay." He used his thumb to turn her face towards his.
"Now isn't the time for love." She said.
"Love don't come with a book Lyd. It just happens randomly and unexpectedly. There's never really a set time but when it comes you know it's time. I think it's our time."
"Cap I can't distract you. If something happened to you because of me I'd never forgive myself."
"Quit blamin' yourself for this Lydia. None of this has anything ta do with ya. Anything that happens ta me or anyone else has nothing ta do with ya."
"But-" She started.
"Quit being stubborn." He said and captured her mouth with his. He started out kinda rough but slowed it down once she responded. Lydia was shocked. She didn't think anything would happen this soon. Was it too soon? It's barely been two months for heaven's sake. But all doubts were pushed out of her mind when his tongue slid across her lips, begging for entrance. She granted it by parting her lips slightly. Her heart took over and she held on to his shirt and tried to pull him closer. One of his hands was rested on her cheek and the other was wrapped around her waist. He too was trying to bring her closer to him. Their minds were clouded. All they could think about was each other. Passion filled the room. If Cap did not respect her so much he would have her laying down already. A knock pulled them out of their trance.
"Can we come in now?" A little voice said from the other side of the door. Cap stood up and opened the door. The girls crowded in and went straight to their beds. Cap was about to leave but Lydia stopped him.
"Cap?" He turned back to her.
"I'll stay but I...I want to wait. To be an honorable wife one day." She admitted.
"You'll keep your honor Lydia. You'll make me an honorable wife. Goodnight." He assured her and left.

"Is you gonna marry my Bubba?" Little Rosada Lee asked.
"Maybe later on. For now we're just friends." Lydia said.
"You'd be my sissy." Rosada smiled.
"That'd be lovely." Lydia crawled under her blankets and nestled in.

A/N Rosada was one of Anse and Levicy's daughters. She was born in 1885 so she'd be around 2.