A New Start

Days went by and no word from Governor Wilson had come. Lydia tried not to worry. She had a feeling her Father had a plan.

Her and Cap kept their relationship at a minimum. They still were not officially courting. A quick kiss was stolen when no one else was around. Sometimes at the table Cap would hold her hand. They wanted to take things slow, at least till the feud ended.

Lydia was busy today. Devil Anse had came down with pleurisy. While Levicy cared for him, Lydia kept up with the housework.

"Don't ya think ya need a break?" Lydia was finishing up the dishes from breakfast when Cap wrapped his arms around her from behind.
"No. Your mother needs a break."
"Ma knows how ta handle things. Pa goes through a spell all the time. You still owe Cotton and me a fishin' day."
"I reckon so. Let me finish these dishes." She gave in to him. She had been doing that a lot lately and it scared her. What else would she give in to?

Lydia packed a picnic lunch then her, Cap, and Cotton headed for the river. Cap was, of course, carrying his rifle. Lydia was safely tucked under his arm as they walked along the Tug.
"Here's the best spot Cot. I guarantee you'll catch enough fish ta feed us for the winter." Cap told him. Cotton eagerly readied his pole.
"Watch out when he cast. Gets a little wild." Cap whispered to Lydia.
"Wonder where he gets that." She smiled up at him.
"Probably Johnse." Cap said and grabbed his pole and sat down along the bank. Lydia sat by him and watched Cotton. He looked like he was having the time of his life.
"Cap." She said.
"Yeah?"
"If we ever get married-"
"If?"
"You know what I mean. When we get married, why don't we let Cotton live with us?"
"I don't know. I wouldn't mind havin' 'em but I don't know if he'd be willing to leave Ma and Pa."
"Cotton." Lydia called.
"Yes Ms. Lydia?"
"If me and Cap where to get our own house would you like to live with us?"
"Yes! If ya'd let me that is."
"You'd always be welcome Cot." She smiled.
"It's settled then." She said to Cap.
"I reckon it is."

"Did you mean it Cap? What you told your Pa? Do you love me?" She could not help but ask. She has been holding it back ever since John left.
"Lydia Jean Wilson I love ya. It's just that I didn't plan on this happenin' till after this mess is all over. It just happened."
"I know. I didn't plan on it either. But William Anderson Hatfield I love you too."
"Who told you my real name?"
"Your Ma."
"Course she did. I was hopin' you'd never know."
"Why? I like it William."
"Makes me feel old."
"You are old." She teased.
"I'm only a year older than you."
"A whole year."
"Cap! Cap!" Cotton yelled. Cap's attention snapped to Cotton. He was struggling with his pole.
"Looks like ya got one Cot!" Cap exclaimed and went to help him.
"Ms. Lydia I got a big one!" Cotton grinned. Lydia watched the pair reel in the fish. Seeing the two happy together filled her with joy. It was a rare sight around here.

"Better pack your clothes darlin'. We leave in the mornin'." Cap told Lydia when they got home. Lydia blushed. It was the first time he used a pet name for her.
"I thought we weren't going?"
"Now where'd ya get an idea like that? I gotta meet the in-laws." He smirked.
"I suppose so. What if they start talkin' about a wedding? What if they want it soon?"
"We'll say we wanna wait till the feud is over. It's not safe ta start a family." Start a family. Those words struck Lydia. She had not thought of what was to come after marriage. She did not even think about children. The thought did not terrify her but she was not quite ready for that.
"That's reasonable." She agreed.
"Then maybe they'll send troops and I can properly court ya."
"I would like that."
"Me too." He said and gently kissed her. She kissed him back with just as much softness.
"Go pack. I'll be in the living room." He told her and they parted ways.

Lydia was almost finished packing when a familiar voice boomed.
"Where's my girl and new son?!" Lydia smiled and ran to the living room.
"Daddy!" She hugged him tightly.
"Sweetheart it's good to see ya."
"You too Daddy." She let go and stepped back.
"Now Devil Anse I see ya took my hint when I told ya to look for my girl a husband while ya find your son a wife." Emanuel sat down by Devil Anse.
"Nice ta have ya back Governor. And I did but I hadn't acted on it yet. They did this on their own." Anse said.
"Glad ta hear. Where is the boy at now? It is the one I'm thinkin' of right?"
"I think so. You're thinkin' of Cap?"
"Got one eye?" The Governor said.
"Yes sir." Anse said.
"That's the one! That's the one I was countin' on!" The Governor let out a hardy laugh.
"Cap's in the stable. I'll go fetch 'em." Anse said.
"Oh no. I'll go." Emanuel said and went to get Cap.

"Howdy son." Emanuel said. Cap mentally groaned. Now the Governor was here to kill him for taking his daughter. And here he thought a McCoy would be the death of him.
"Hello sir. Let me explain."
"There ain't nothin' to explain boy." Governor Wilson put his arm around Cap.
"I planned on asking for your permission sir. Ya see we aren't officially engaged. Not even courtin'. But we love each other sir. We talked about it and as soon as this is over we'll court and then be wed sir. That is with your blessin' sir." Cap came clean.
"You've had my blessin' since day one boy! I'm just glad she found love. Never thought she would after Andy was murdered. Did she mention Andy?"
"Yes sir." Cap tried not to grin. Obviously the Governor did not know about his murder.
"Enough with this sir business. My name is Emanuel. And in due time it'll be Pa. Let's go inside and see my daughter."

Emanuel and Cap walked in. Lydia was relieved Cap did not suffer any injuries.
"Now, let's talk business Devil Anse." Emanuel sat back down.
"I'm listenin'."
"I don't control the army. I can request troops and declare war on other states, that's true, but it has to pass. I already contacted all the representatives but they won't hear me out till after New Year's. I hope we can get troops on the border right after that. I know it seems like a long time but it's the best I can do."
"That works Governor. A new start to our new year. Thank you."
"My name is Emanuel, Devil Anse. We're gonna be in-laws. No more formalities."
"So we are Emanuel."
"You're still coming home for Christmas right Willie?" Emanuel asked his daughter.
"Me and Cap planned on leaving in the morning."
"Good! Glad ta hear Cap is comin'. Thought I'd have ta force ya boy." He joked.
"No sir. I go wherever she goes quite willingly."